~04~

"Bad dream?" Alexander asked Stefan who shot up out of his sleep.

"You know how easy it was to get into your head just now?" He mocked, "You need some human blood. It might even the playing field."

Damon chuckled when he entered the room with two coffees, "Nice football reference."

"Thank you." Alex cooed as he took a cup.

But Stefan's silence told them that he wasn't amused.

"Hm, right. Too soon?" Asked the eldest brother.

Stefan sped out of bed and grabbed a letter opener he kept on his desk, launching it at the younger's chest. Alex caught it before the weapon could impale him.

"Alright, I deserved that." Alex sighed, inspecting the sharp blade.

"Look, we just wanted to let you know, they caught the culprit." Damon reasoned, "The animal responsible for killing Couch Tanner and all those people."

"What are you talking about?" Stefan asked, suspiciously.

"It was a mountain lion. A really big one." Damon emphasized, "It attacked a hunter this morning. It's all over the news."

Stefan's eyes wandered off trying to comprehend what his brother was trying to say.

"Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls." Alex sounded out dramatically.

Stefan was skeptical. "Why would you cover your tracks?" 

Alexander placed his coffee and stood from his chair. "We've decided to stay awhile. And by we, I mean I have decided that we will be extending our stay a little while longer." He mocked, pacing the room, "And I just can't bring myself to ruin Damon's fun here with you... and Elena."

"He can't touch her now," Stephan smirked.

"Well, the vervain keeps him out of her head." Alex started, handing the blade to the older vampire.

"But maybe that's not my target." Damon took it and continued, "Believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don't need my persuasion. Some girls just can't resist my good looks, my style, and my charm. And my unflinching ability to listen to Taylor Swift." He stabbed the blade into Stephans side. 

Alexander watched unmoved as Stephan collapsed and groaned in pain.

The two brothers stepped around the suffering sibling. Damon looked down at his ruined shirt and scowled, "This is John Varvatos, dude. Dick move."

Alex chuckled and led their way out of the bedroom.

Stefan painfully removed the blade from his side and set it on the table, glaring at the door the two had just exited.