Call me Cosette

Chapter Eighteen

She woke up to Shadow licking her face and laughed out of rusty pipes. It was warm were she was, but she needed to move. There was work to be done and she still had to find whoever it was that had saved her. Up the stairs, down the hall, and to the left she went. The closet was empty and the drawers were too. There weren't any clothes anywhere and she wondered what happened to the ones she came here in. She remembered the holes in them and thought better of looking for them, but still wished she had something a little less homey. There was a knock at the door and she rushed to it to thank her savior, but then Eirini Augustus came through it.

"What are you doing here?"

"This is my house. Well actually, it's my mother's house, my brother and I just come up here every now and then. Have you seen him? Anyway, I brought you some clothes. Going to the store for this was quite embarrassing I might add so show some gratitude. Did you like the stew; it was my father's recipe?"

"You can't be the one who saved me, move on idiot and show me the person who really did the work."

"I'm serious: It was I, dear Damsel."

                She stood there for a moment in shock of the implications. He'd saved her life, and now she owed a murderer. He'd cleaned her wounds and redressed her.... She screamed and cursed his name.

"Get out! Leave this room right now you prickly fiend! Oh I hate you; I hate everything about you!"

                Her blush was erupting back on her face and Augustus couldn't help but smile at it. This, however, infuriated her even more. She pounded her fist against any part of his body unlucky enough to be on her side of the door and when he finally crossed into the hallway, she slammed the door in his face. She swung around and slid down the door to the chill of the floor. It was nice against the burn of her blush. She sat there and fumed for long moments before she gave any consideration to the man that had saved her life. When she finally did, she crawled across the floor and pouted at what she knew must be done. The clothing he had brought in for her fit snuggly; she once again considered not even looking at him on her way out the door. The fact that he knew her size made her want to punch him more than thank him and it slowed her pace down the stairs.

"Your wounds, are they fully closed? Any bleeding?"

"They look good, no bleeding that I know of."

"And do you feel better? I know you weren't poi—"

"I'm fine."

"Good. So what do I call you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Black called you 'Daff' or 'Pup' and your 'mother' called you 'Sarah', so what should I call you?"

"Call me my name: Cosette."

"Alright then, Cosette it is."

                He tossed an apple in the air and bit into it with a smug grin on his face. He was being kind to her and he had saved her life, so she could afford breakfast with him.

"I guess you'll be wanting to know what happened to me."

"I won't ask if you don't want me to. After all, it's none of my concern."

"I don't think I mind much. I think, actually, I owe you an explanation. I was in a house when it blew up. Then I was shot at by a bodyguard; I think he thought I was a zombie."

"Sounds exciting."

"Most indefinably."

                They passed looks and giggled into their food. She pinched off grapes and he crashed into a new bit of apple.