To the Graveyard

Chapter Fourteen

            She stood from her chair with terror in her. She needed something, anything. If she got any more bad news she fall face flat. All the yearning she had for wanting to know, left her body with a definite "puff". Everything bad that could ever happen had happen, she thought. Damn Murphy. Her steps out the door and to the elevator were unnoticed by her brain.

            If it rains, the sky would be justified. I don't ever remember this happening—I was never prepared. My mother taught me how to handle men who didn't know the meaning of love, she taught me rejection. But this is something different. What do you do when people push you away? You ignore them right? When someone does you wrong, you move on, no matter how long that takes, you put one foot in front of the other and keep going. But what if the person who throws you off is your father? What if he was a master of some secret strength and his wife was the reason he left you on the door-step of a stranger and he took your memories in order to clear the way for new memories of a dying dead girl and then he ended his legacy with suicide? How do you handle that; what do I do?

            She stepped off the machine and into the crowed. Her feet followed its flow. One step. Two step. To the left, to the right, every step came with a sway that was the result of lose. Every step was a jolt to her confusion. Why would her father kill himself, and how did Eirini get the blame for it? And how did he die if he was immortal? So many questions, so little information, there was so much missing!

            She moped and wallowed down many streets, some stuffed with people, some as clear as the sunrise. Her face only lifted from its slump when, from the corner of her eye, she saw a flash of light. It was sudden and irregular but didn't keep her attention for long. Then it happened again. She realized that she was being stalked. A man in brown followed, three or so long strides behind her. She took notice of his face and saw the scared brown skin of a seven foot 300 pound man.  Terror once again filled her and she wished Max was here to save her now. Her feet moved just a little bit faster and her eyes chased the crowd more thoroughly. Four men, in differing business suits or simple trench-coats followed behind her, all tossing stares at one another.

            The sunrise spotlight did her no good, so she ducked under the shade of the stores hoping to become lost in the crowd. This didn't help much and for the third time she whispered to the wind.

"I need you. How do I get out of here?"

"specifics...."

"I don't care where I end up, just get me away from them!"

"Location, location,"

"Home!"

"That word is relative. More...."

"Take me to Black."

            She cursed under her breath and kept her pace as inconspicuous yet fast as possible, managing to swerve back and forth for at least an hour. The crowd was her shield and as much as she wanted to keep with it, the whispers told her differently. She dodged left and circled around to the right; she'd thought she'd lost them. Her steps slowed and her heart beat secede its pounding in her ear. There was a coffee shop near her, so she went inside.

"Coffee please, two sugars, no cream."

            She placed her order and found a seat where the window was visible to her, but she couldn't be seen from it. She tried to get as far away from the door as possible. When her coffee came her waiter stayed near a moment too long.