prologue pt.iii

1993

"Hermes! Hermes!" a five-year-old girl shouted, running after the God of Messengers. The God was trying to run away from the little girl running after him. After hours of begging, Hermes finally agreed to play catch with Meria. She was pretty persistent and stubborn when she needed to be. And despite trying to explain to the girl how he was busy delivering messages and doing his Godly work, she wouldn't give up.

As he turned the corner, he was met with the small girl, forming from a wave of water blocking his path, her hair falling out of the plait Hera braided each day, a wide grin stretching her face, showing off a few missing teeth. The God jumped back in shock; it was quite funny how an almighty powerful God was jumpy in the presence of a little girl.

"I got you, Hermes!" Meria laughed, boosting herself up with another wave of water; she jumped in Hermes's arms, who was quick to catch. When Poseidon asked him to look at Meria for a couple of moments, he figured that was all it would be, but Poseidon was gone for at least five hours, and he was growing more frustrated with the God of The Sea. Despite loving the little girl as if she was his, he was frustrated that he had to stop delivering messages.

"Is father coming home soon?" Meria asked. Even though she missed her father, since he rarely left her alone, she had a brilliant time with Hermes. Just like she always did in his presence.

Hermes nodded, smiling at the girl who was now sitting on his shoulder. He was leading her to the Main Hall, where Hera was. He was sure that she would be delighted to take care of Meria for a little while since he had to finish his work. He couldn't wait any longer, and everyone would begin to be annoyed with the late messages.

Unbeknownst to them, Poseidon was currently watching his son, too, born to Sally, taking his first steps. He felt as if it was fitting since he couldn't be there for his son as he was for Meria. Nobody knew of his existence, and that's how he planned to keep it for how long he could. Zeus could forgive one child, mainly because his Meria was born because of a Prophecy; however, Zeus wouldn't forgive a child who had nothing to do with a prophecy, and it only happened because he couldn't help himself.

When Hermes walked through the golden arch, he saw Hera lounging and talking with Aphrodite. "Hera," Hermes called out to his stepmother. Her head turned in his direction, and when she saw Meria's untidy hair, her face fell into an annoyed scowl.

"Meria!" she scolded, standing up and dusting off her dress. "Care to explain?" Hera narrowed her eyes at the girl's messy hair, which made Meria shrinks back slightly, knowing she would be lectured again about how to act like a proper lady.

"Hermes and I were playing catch. That Mortals game, it's really fun!" Meria exclaimed sheepishly, casting her eyes away from Hera. She rubbed her neck nervously, "It must have gotten messy while I ran."

Hera let out an annoyed sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose, "Athena does not ruin such a pretty hairdo while she battles, does she?" The point was valid. Even after slaying enemies and monsters, Athena could still look flawless, as if she were lounging.

"Hera, Athena had millennials of training to obtain such talent," Aphrodite giggled, looking at the sheepish Meria. She was about to add more when the sharp eyes of Hera met her own.

"I would be careful at what you say, Aphrodite!" Aphrodite silenced from the scornful gaze of Hera. Meria knew that despite everything, Hera wanted what was best for her and wished to teach her as much as possible. It had been a long time since she had the chance to raise a child, and she was more than happy to do so.

Hermes dropped Meria down to the floor and gave a quick nod to the Goddesses, quickly rushing out, not wishing to hear Hera's lectures. Meria gave him a weak wave, but he could see the pleading eyes that she sent him, but in response, she received a cheeky smile. Her face quickly shifted into a scowl, and she stuck her tongue out at Hermes before being swatted in the shoulder by Hera. She quickly hid her tongue and put on a lady-like posture.