4 - Disappearance

Começar do início

Her phone suddenly vibrated and her ringtone started singing, "backpack, backpack! Backpack, backpack! I'm the backpack loaded up with thin-"

She quickly snatched her phone and answered the call. "Hey, what's up?"

What sounded like a thousand drums blasted through the phone. Emersyn jerked the phone away from her ear at the loud noise and asked, "what is going on there?"

Fury replied in a loud groan and said loudly, "EMERSYN! S.H.I.E.L.D IS COM-" he let out a yell. "COMPROMISED."

"Nick?" Emersyn asked worriedly, pulling the phone closer. "Wh- what's going on, are you okay?"

"SHUT UP AND LISTEN." His voice came booming through the phone.

The chaos in the background grew louder, now with squealing tires and thundering... gunshots. Emersyn's anxiety spiked as she clearly heard tens of gunshots ringing through the air, and she recognized them too clearly.

"The hard drive," Fury gasped. The brakes of a car let out a piercing squeal. "It has information on Project Insight. Take it, don't trust anyone. You have to- AAAUGH." A shatter overwhelmed all other sounds and ended in a large, booming, powerful bang.

"Call systems failing." Came a distant, automated voice.

"Fury?!" Emersyn yelled through the phone desperately.

The phone cut off and went silent. She frantically stared down at the screen which said, 'call failed' and Emersyn dialed Fury's number again. "No, no, no, no.." she muttered in a panic. The call rang and rang, and Emersyn prayed he would answer, but the only voice she received was, "your call has been-"
She hung up quickly and called again immediately. Ringing... ringing... no answer.

"Your call has been forwarded-"

She tried again, breath caught in her throat and eyes watering profusely.

"Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice message system. Fury, Nicholas J is not available." Emersyn groaned and threw the phone across the room. It landed with a clatter on the hardwood floor and for a moment, the room was left in deathly silence. A tear trickled down her cheek and along with it, the gnawing worry in her stomach filled up her entire body.

"At the tone, please record your message."

Emersyn looked up angrily. "FRICK YOU!"

The automated female voice continued, "When you have finished recording, you may hang up or press one for more options. To leave a callback number, press five."

Her hands flew up to her head and she fell against the table, clenching herself with sweaty palms. She tried to calm herself but her hands stuck to her hair, only agitating her more. Breathing heavily, Emersyn got up quickly from her seat and grabbed her phone again. She wiped the tears from her eyes and dialed Agent Hill's number, hoping desperately for her to answer.

There was only one dreadful ring before her friendly voice came through the phone. "Hi, Emersyn!"

Relief washed over her once she heard a familiar voice.

"Hill? Oh my gosh, thank God you're there." Emersyn answered in a rush.

"Of course, I'm here, why, what's wrong?" Hill asked, noticing the fear in her voice.