16 - Changing Tides

--+*+—
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
—+*+—

THEY WERE FULLY ENTANGLED in each other's embrace; hands were flying up to reach heads and hips to pull their bodies as close as they could

THEY WERE FULLY ENTANGLED in each other's embrace; hands were flying up to reach heads and hips to pull their bodies as close as they could. Steve had fallen back from the force of the kiss and clutched Emersyn's waist with firm hands to pull himself up. She let out a small squeal at his touch that pressed his strong body against hers.

The kiss was like the blue waves in Steve's eyes transformed into a rushing tide that crashed against her, sucking her in and drowning her in a sea of passion and impulse. Whatever gentleness they possessed was thrown aside as soon as their lips touched. The impact sent adrenaline rushing through Emersyn's body, and all thought and care had no importance anymore. The force of his lips against her took away all her senses; she could not feel the pain in her head, the weariness in her muscles, or the fact that they were perfectly visible in the middle of a living room, or the fears or the questions her mind might be screaming. She only understood the one chaotic, overpowering, and irresistible sense that consumed her whole mind and body: desire.

The waves of desire crashed against her like water upon rock. Her body moved without thought as she brought her hands up to Steve's hair and held him against her. The feel of his supple lips only sent her emotions spiraling more, and she kissed him harder. Her mind was in a craze with nothing processing except the constant impulse to bring Steve as close to her as she could, but somehow it was never enough. She wanted all of him, and it was not just a desire for body, but a desire to hear those gentle, advising words that brought her so much peace, and to hear that quiet rasp as she woke up, and to know he was caring for her even though it was not his job to do so, and to hear his contagious laugh, to tease him, to feel his love with her lips, and fingers, and hands, and chest until it reached to the center of her pounding heart.

Breaths were becoming quick and heated as they struggled to gasp for air in between kisses. Every time Steve slightly pulled away, Emersyn's hands were closing him back in, and when she tried to back up, his arms forced her against his chest. Steve had no care that her lips were dry and cut from the explosion, or that her wild had fallen out of its braids. He did not focus on the puffiness of her eyes or the dirt plastered on his clothes. Steve's only concern was this girl who made his mind so conflicted; she brought him so much frustration, but also joy, and in her little jokes and teasing moments, he found himself laughing under his breath but too stubborn to admit aloud. She was stupid but beautifully chaotic—always an adventure, and not a day passed when he did not discover something new about her. Underneath all their quarrels, Steve found himself caring about her, and suddenly, when Emersyn fell into danger, he discovered that his anger and annoyance transformed into concern, and a loyalty planted itself in his stout heart, endeavoring to protect her until he ensured she was safe.

As the kisses slowed, Emersyn turned her head to gasp for air and said breathlessly, "Steve.."

His hand stroked her chin softly and pulled her back to him; she felt dazed under his gaze. "Was that a good time to be reckless?" Emersyn asked with a cheeky smile and her chest heaving.