Intransigent | 24

Começar do início

"I promise, Ricky," I replied. "Now, go see your family. I love you and you'll be able to come back to fight Max with us, but you deserve this."

He kissed the top of my head. "Alright, I'll go see them. You better call me with updates as well."

I nodded. "You know I will. Now go. Surprise them." I pushed him gently to the door and he grinned as he walked out.

I sighed as I watched him go. This would be the first time that we wouldn't be together since I was captured two years ago. He was truly my best friend. And that was why I told him to go. I knew how much his family meant to him and there was no reason for him to stay here with me while I was settling in. There was no danger.

Cindy smiled at me when I went over to take the potatoes from her so that she could finish up with the muffins. "That was nice of you," she told me as she pulled the muffin tin from the oven.

I smiled slightly. "He deserves to see his family," I replied as I grabbed an electric mixer and plugged it into the wall. "He was held in the dungeons for even longer than I was.

"Cara, can you grab me some milk and butter?" I asked, looking at her over my shoulder.

She nodded, hopping off her barstool to go to the fridge.

I finished making the mashed potatoes and by the time that I was finished, Cindy had the muffins ready and Cara was almost finished with the cookies.

"Where's Emily?" I asked as we started moving the platters of food to the dining room.

"She's not feeling too well," Cindy replied, a frown marring her face. "I told her to stay in bed and rest."

"The flu?" I asked worriedly. Every child should have their mom when they're sick.

Cindy nodded.

I took the platter of deviled eggs from her hands. "Go upstairs and sit with her," I ordered. "I'll bring food up for both of you after I get the dining room finished."

"Luna, I can't-"

"You can," I cut her off, pushing her gently out of the room after setting the deviled eggs on a table. "Go sit with your daughter. I hated being sick and not having anyone with me."

"Thank you, Luna," she replied, grabbing my hand.

I nodded. "Eventually I'm going to get you to call me Emma," I told her, surprised when she actually grinned.

"Maybe one day," she replied before disappearing up the stairs.

I chuckled as I turned back to the dining room.

"What's so funny, Emma?" Cara asked, skipping over to me.

"Your momma is funny," I replied, taking Cara's hand. "What do you say we finish up here and then make Emily some soup?"

She nodded somberly. "Emily doesn't feel good," she told me.

"That's what your momma told me. Maybe some soup will help."

Cara agreed, pulling me by my hand back to the kitchen to get the rest of the platters of food. We set them all up on the buffet table in the dining room and then I mind-linked Ashton.

Dinner is all set. I'll join you guys in a little bit. Emily is sick, so Cara and I are going to make her some chicken noodle soup.

Okay, do you want some help?

I smiled at his question. We'll be okay. You go ahead and eat.

He didn't respond, but it only took him a minute to reach the kitchen and pull me into his arms. "Let's make Emily some soup," he told me, nuzzling my neck.

I laughed. "I thought I told you I'd be fine."

"I don't want to eat dinner without you."

I leaned back and he placed his lips over mine causing heat to race through my body. I wrapped an arm around his neck and leaned back into him. He pulled away from me with a groan. "This is not the place for this," he growled, looking around the kitchen as if it was the kitchen's fault.

I couldn't help the giggle that fell from my lips. He was so adorable.

~~~*~~~Author's Note~~~*~~~

Well, I'm back from my mini-break! It's a little short, and kind of sucky, but I'll try to make it up to you next week.

On another note, I created an updates book so that I don't have to put all my news in Author's Notes anymore. If you want to know when and why there will be delays in updates, books I'm planning to write in the future and any other tidbits, go to my profile and download the updates book :)

Thanks for reading and I hope you like the update book :)

~Haley~