004

It Should Have Been Me by corporal_achilles

ʚ ✦ ♥︎ ∞ ☾ ɞ

Lo'ak felt like a spirit. He was disconnected from the world around him, simply passing through the day monotonously.

Wake. Eat. Fish. Visit Payakan. Go home. Eat again. Sleep. Repeat.

This had been going on since the attack; since his brother had died.

He couldn't bring himself to spend extra time with Tsireya or Aonung, or Spider for that matter. He had rarely spoken with his parents for the past month, besides brief greetings and goodbyes. He was ashamed. Ashamed of the chaos and destruction, the pain and loss his actions had led to. The actions that led to the death of Neteyam.

Lo'ak sighed heavily, his feet idly floating in the water below him. Payakan made a soft, sympathetic sound, as if he could feel the gaping emptiness in the Na'vi's chest. Lo'ak allowed the barest hint of a wry grin pull at his lips as he reached over and gently stroked the side of Payakan's head.

"I'll be ok." He signed, not wanting the Tulkun to worry about him.

The Tulkun made a huffing noise, mist escaping from his blowhole. Lo'ak had just been scoffed at by a Tulkun. The realization caused a flicker of amusement to spark in his chest. It was mercilessly extinguished.

"I should get back." Lo'ak continued signing, gesturing to the lowering sun on the horizon. "I'll see you tomorrow." He promised, leaning forward to press his forehead briefly against the side of Payakan's before he jumped into the water.

Payakan watched the boy go, his eyes clouded with worry.

ʚ ✦ ♥︎ ∞ ☾ ɞ

this one is a very short one :)

thank you for making it this far! i hope you're enjoying the oneshots written by the owners!

vote goal — 100 🌷