| 43 | Revelation

Start from the beginning

          "I-I don't know!" Jackson answered, his perplexity starting to overwhelm him. "You sent Aysel to tell me that you wanted me out—she said I broke the rules," he explained, watching Damon's baffled look worsen. "She said I put the pack at risk and had to leave. She said you sent her to give me that bag of supplies, and that I had two minutes to get lost."

          Damon glared into his eyes—it looked like he was pondering...and his anger and confusion slowly withered into a look of disdain.

          Jackson wasn't sure what to make of any of this. "What?" he asked, hoping Damon would shed some light.

          But the Alpha let go of him and backed off as he dragged his hand over his face. Then, he laughed derisively and shook his head.

          "What?" he asked again.

          Damon glanced at him. "Do you honestly believe I'd send someone else to tell you that you've been banished from the pack? Aysel, no less."

          Was that some sort of trick question? "I...well...I thought you didn't want to see me, so—"

          He shook his head again and turned to face him. "After everything I've told you, after what I've done for you, and after what we've done together, do you really think that little of me?"

          Jackson understood now. Damon was mad at him, wasn't he? He was upset that he'd think he'd send someone else to say the things Aysel had said. But...he had, hadn't it? Which was why he didn't understand.

          He looked down at the snow. "I...I don't know. It was all so sudden and so much was happening, I just...I'm sorry."

          Damon sighed heavily.

          And then the snow started crunching.

          Jackson lifted his head, and when he saw Damon approaching, he backed off, sure that he was going to pin him against the tree again and yell in his face. But instead, the Alpha wrapped his arms around him...and hugged him.

          He frowned strangely, but when Damon's captivating scent of impending rainfall and earthy cinnamon enthralled him, he calmed down and moved his arms around him. This was still so confusing, but he wouldn't pass up the chance to be in Damon's embrace.

          "I didn't banish you," Damon muttered, his voice muffled against the side of Jackson's head, where the Alpha had chosen to nuzzle. "I didn't send Aysel to you, nor did I not want to see you. When I did come to see you, you were gone."

          Jackson shook his head. "Aysel told me—"

          Damon squeezed him a little tighter. "Aysel told me some bullshit about seeing you running off into the woods."

          "What?"

          "She tried to convince me you chose to flee rather than face the consequences of your disobedience."

          "That's not true. I was—"

          "I know," he said, pulling out of their embrace so they could see each other's faces. "I knew you wouldn't run—at least...I convinced myself you wouldn't...."

          "I wouldn't," he said sternly. "I'm not that crazy. Not with all the cadejo and hunters and whatever else out there."

          Damon nodded and dragged his hand over his face again.

          "So...Aysel tried to manipulate us? What...what does this mean?"

          "It means she and Elias are finally making their moves."