22. The time I began to see this world as it truly Is

Start from the beginning

"Can you give me an example?" Leaning forward, I bring my coffee to my lips.

"Sure. Let's see. I'm part of the broader Blood Moon territory that has close to ten thousand packmates spanning from coast-to-coast." Setting my mug down, I focus on Bergin's words. "But I'm originally from here. When my Alpha conquered Sweetwater, I was an active Gamma for the old ruler. I actually tried my hand at killing my Alpha, but he laughed and had me submitting in no time." He looks away with a proud little smirk. "Truth be told, I was happy he ended the old rulers. They were brutal and cruel to their people, unlike Alpha Silas. He is fair and consistent. He makes every one of us old geezers feel respected and cared for."

He pauses for a moment taking a sip of his Coke. "I got way off-topic, didn't I?" he chuckles, seemingly a bit jumbled. "What was the question again?"

"Oh, I don't mind. I'm scattered with my thinking all the time. Rambling on and jumping from one topic to the next!" I slap my forehead to drive my point across. He chuckles a bit uncomfortably. "I was asking how the mind link works."

"Right!" He smiles while exhaling. "Since I'm originally a part of the Sweetwater Pack, I can only link with those who reside within the pack even though I belong to a massive overall pack... does that make sense?"

"Yes, I think so," I jot down some thoughts. "But being here in Glendale Creek," I look up again, "does that limit you?" He shakes his head with a smile.

"You'd have to be out of the original territory not to be able to communicate. Glendale Creek is still technically part of Sweetwater." Again, I scribble down some notes that I will cross-reference against the Blood Moon territorial map later. "Oh, one other interesting fact about the link," I look up to find a mischievous grin plastered across his handsome face. "My Alpha can hear every thought and conversation without his people knowing."

"Really? He can eavesdrop through the link?" I smile with more interest. He nods with a wink. "So, he could be listening to you right now but not hear me? Like a one-sided conversation," I try to clarify.

"Exactly. Since I pledged my allegiance to him, he has access to my mind along with every other shifter that resides under him. Of course, this is all from the rumour mill, and I've never had a one-on-one mind-link conversation with the man, but I've been told he's always listening."

Huh?

"Could you reach out to him?" the expression on his face has me laughing, "hypothetically, of course." He relaxes once again.

"Yes. My Alpha has made it well known that he is always available, even if he's away tending to duty elsewhere. All we have to do is contact our local High Council, and they send a message to my Alpha." Honourable. "With that said, I know it would have to be of great importance to disturb our Alpha. He's an incredibly busy leader, and we are so grateful that he resides here most of the time."

"You admire him." It's more of a statement than a question. Nonetheless, Bergin wildly grins. "I have one more question." His hand waves for me to go ahead. "Why do you think you were asked to be documented?" It wasn't part of my line of questions. It's one I added and will ask everyone I interview. He humbly laughs and reaches for the back of his neck, depicting embarrassment.

"I volunteered when my Alpha called up our home a few weeks back. He had us all gathered around in the great hall of our retirement packhouse and pitched the idea of you—through FaceTime. That you wanted to learn the truth about our kin to make sure your species were taught properly and not some fabricated bullshit!" he snorts with a comical nod. "I thought I could leave my little dent on the earth before my demise." Uncomfortably, I smile and nod.

"Thank you, Bergin. I've enjoyed meeting you and your stories, as well as truthful facts." Lowering my head, tears pick at the back of my eyes. It's unknown why, whether it was because Silas was scrounging up candidates just recently or the old Gamma's honesty—either way, I'm moved. "Is there anything else you'd like to add?"