20. The time I awoke to meet hell on Earth

Jane

I'm floating, floating in a state of unknown. My mind feels weightless, as does my body while I hover well above the earth. I'm awake, but I'm not. My senses are numb, and my world is dark. No light. No sound. Nothing but an airiness that is so sublime.

"She's waking," the masculine voice resonates through my transcendent state. Like a tunnel, my hearing begins to pick up on my new surroundings. Machines beeping, body bumping as my pain returns to an all-new high. Sitting upright, I hurl all over myself as my one working eye blinks and tries to focus.

"Sedate her." The growl comes from beside me as I have a real sense of deja vu. "Now, Goddammit!" the Beta grits as I move to rip the IVs from my arms before they can. "What the fuck, pretty one?" he snarls with a hint of humour.

"No," I quiver out in agony while shaking my head. "I'm fine," I huff through the escalating pain. "Bring me back to my cell." He looks over my head just as I feel the prick of a needle tip piercing my neck. Instantly, I fall back into my previous comatose state.

Time lapses on a continual loop as I dig through layers of stifling uncertainty. As much as the floating and heavenly atmosphere of hovering just above reality are welcomed, I'm fighting to wake somewhere deep inside my consciousness. Something is telling me to do so.

Like a switch, my eyelids flicker before they slowly rise. The first thing I notice is the lack of pain resonating through my body. Second, my sight is clear and focused as I look around with both eyes at the plain white space. It is far from a hospital room, nor is it a Rogard cell.

Bright beams of sunlight cascade in through three tall narrow windows directly in front of me – spanning from the far wall. A kitchenette is nicely tucked away in the joining corner – again, all brightly set in white with high-end stainless-steel appliances and a well-appointed island with seating for two.

My sight continues along the red brick wall that hosts the kitchenette to find a large corner desk equipped with several computer screens, a laptop, a printer and even a docking station which is currently charging my phone. Next to it stands a massive bookshelf ladled with books of all kinds, but I'm unable to read the spines from my angle. My eyes zone in on the videography equipment placed on a separate shelving unit. Nothing but topline names meet my eyes.

Skimming to my other side, my lips twitch at the table next to my super large bed. A bouquet of wildflowers decorates the plain white vase. My hand reaches to finger one of the petals when I notice the bruising left behind from where I assume the multiple IVs punctured my veins. Feeling stronger, I flip the comfy, soft duvet back and smile for the first time when I notice the cute white leggings and oversized cotton sleepshirt I'm dressed in. It's sweet, with little black lambs covering the otherwise white fabric.

With the pads of my feet sliding down to meet the dark hardwood floor, I'm presently surprised at the feel. It's cool but not at all uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, the entire flat is perfectly tempered. After a long exhale, I test my strength further and surprise myself that I don't ache. That my legs feel like they did before Silas and I consummated our mate bond.

Stepping down several stairs brings me to a lower area arranged as a living space. An oversized sectional couch and TV hang on the wall directly across from where I stand. Besides the modest coffee table, nothing else is bearing any items except a remote to power the ginormous black box. My eyes drift to the corner, which I assume is where the door to leave is.

Sure enough, there it stands as I zip around the edge separating the living space along with two other doors. One is the coat closet filled with ladies' outer apparel – from jackets to footwear and everything in between. Closing the door, I turn to the other and pull it open to find a relatively spacious four-piece bathroom, all in crisp white.