Chapter 26: My Inner Cold

Acrux's POV

With anguish stuck in my chest, not knowing what to do, to the point of having to cross my arms so as not to start biting my hands like crazy, I was waiting to know how Rosy was.

She had been intoxicated with a dart, and indeed she didn't notice the puncture amid so much chaos. On the other hand, there was Meadow, whom I saw again after so long, and after having thought she was dead... All this time, thinking that she was dead...!

Both were being treated, but Rosy was worse. Her life was in danger. It was a cruel game where I couldn't have one without losing the other, and so on and on. I didn't remember everything I went through with Rosy, but I was crazy for her in a unique and strange way, very different from what I had ever felt about Meadow.

However, now that she was back, it was my duty to follow her side. My responsibility was to stay with Meadow, take her home, or send her away to our town and then catch up with her and unite.

I raised my hands to my head and closed my eyes, leaning back against the chair. How would I do that if my whole being asked for another woman?

"She wants to see you," someone spoke to me.

A heavy sigh.

"Yes. I'm going...."

John guided me, although it wasn't necessary.

"You say you thought she was dead. The weapons they carried to capture you were likely special. You know, the kind that contains a potent drug that could easily make you pass for dead. I guess it used to take a while to act because, believe me, nowadays, it acts in seconds."

"I see."

"It's logical. It was better to capture you than kill you. Taking Evolved People from their cities and doing all of that must take a significant monetary investment. They can't lose any of you."

"They'll keep looking for us. I already suspected that too."

He stopped walking fast and spoke softly.

"You should also know that the doctors have examined her, including a gynecologist. Marcos told me about your culture, so I asked for all those exams. And, well, she's fortunate to have no signs of abuse. You know." I was intrigued. Abuse? So they hadn't tortured her? It relieved me somehow. "Although she is somewhat malnourished, perhaps due to a lack of protein, she's fine. As I said, you guys are a great investment for the government, from what I see. They were going to use her to get to you."

"It's good that we arrived before that, then."

We were outside her room. He turned and whispered to me.

"What happened with Rosy was because she wanted to follow you. The attack they told me about and this girl are enough reasons to convince Rosy to stay away from you, don't you think? Unless you want her to end up dying because of you."

My lips formed a single line. To get away from her? Sure. It didn't even sound easy, but he was right.

I spent several seconds in front of that door, with my forehead glued to that false wood and my eyes closed, trying to assimilate everything. I opened it, and there she was. She smiled weakly at me, and my heart shrank. I walked over and sat beside her bed, offering her a sad smile.

"Hello..."

Meadow made a gesture of wanting to take my hand, so I helped her. Her fingers intertwined with mine.

"I thought you were dead. I didn't see you again when I woke up... Never again."

I looked down for a few seconds.