4. Make-up Date

[REQUESTED] You and Tom get into a fight, but Tom makes it up to you by planning a romantic dinner <3

"Tom, what is this?" You asked your boyfriend, holding up a document in your hand. The document had read that he was required to see a psychiatrist, and it had been signed by his captain and everything. You had found it on the coffee table that morning, while picking up other loose paperwork Tom had left there while working late at night.

"Oh, um that's a requirement by the police department." Tom answered quickly. He didn't even look at you.

He was hiding something.

"You're required to see a shrink for no reason?" You inquired, pressing the matter more than he wanted you to.

Tom nodded, but he looked uneasy. "Yeah."

"Come on, what aren't you telling me?"

Tom let out a sigh, then ran a hand through his hair. "It's mandatory for any officers that..."

"That what?"

"...That are involved in a shooting."

You were in shock, you didn't know what to say.

"What?"

He had been involved in a shooting? And he hadn't told you?

"I didn't get shot, I was just a witness to it. I saw a kid get shot and I knew him, it was a case I was working undercover at a school."

"When was this? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Look, y/n, don't worry about it. I knew the kid, had been talking to him a bit, you know. He was tight with the shooter, the kid we suspected. Then he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's gonna be fine, he's recovering. It's not a big deal."

God. You were sick of him keeping things about work from you. Especially because you knew how much the terrible things he saw affected him.

"Of course it's a big deal, Tom! You had to witness someone you know getting shot! And I know you're just pretending it doesn't bother you right now. It hurt you, Tom. That's why you didn't tell me."

"Why do you always have to pry into my personal life? You don't know what it's like out there, y/n. You're safe and protected in this house. You don't even want to know the things I have to witness every day!"

Why did he bottle all of this up? Why couldn't he just talk to you about it? Even if you didn't fully understand, you would have tried your best to make him feel better. Why didn't he see that? Did he not trust you?

"I AM your personal life, Thomas. I deserve to know what's going on with you! It's not fair that you keep things from me, your own GIRLFRIEND. I think that title itself implies trust and communication. Don't you?!"

Tom's eyes darkened and he clenched his jaw the way he did when he was angry. You rarely ever saw him get this way. And usually it wasn't towards you.

"You know what, y/n? It's not like I have to tell you everything. Being in a relationship with you does not make it obligatory for me to report every second of my day to you. I like my privacy!"

Now you were very irritated. You knew all of this was bull, it was just a cover up. But you couldn't help him if he was going to act like this. And you weren't going to keep going back and forth either. You had to leave so you could both cool off. If he wanted privacy, you were going to give it to him.

But not without leaving him with something to think about.

"Tom, I don't want to argue anymore. It's obvious that it's getting us nowhere. I think we both need some time alone." You said, walking to the front door.