Chapter 4:Aftermath

Lupo's POV.

    This is....interesting. I never imagined operating under a Jedi General would be like this. I can't stop thinking about how she didn't scold Ross for interrupting and listened to his plan. Why would she do that? Word has a way of getting around within the clone captains. And I've heard too many stories of Jedi pushing men forward with complete disregard for the death toll. Or generals taking all the credit for a victory which was only won because of the dedication of their clones. I feared Heneral Sorna would be similar. However, I will admit there are a few commanders and captains whose jedi are compassionate. And they will pridefully boast of their generals loyalty, achievements, and, in the 501st captain's case, reckless plans that somehow work without loss of life.

But I was naturally still very skeptical when I learned we were being assigned a General. Especially one who had never been command before. It got worse when she revealed her first battle tactic. Me and Pry knew right away it was faulty. But I didn't want to say anything. How would a new General react to being questioned? I didn't know, so I didn't protest.

Then, just when I thought my day couldn't get more stressful; Ross decided to interrupt her speech. I was fully prepared to step in and try to defend Ross should the General snap at him on proper protocol. I would have scolded him too of course, but the jedi could cut of his head if she fancied it. Shockingly, however, she accepted his interruption and suggestions in stride. I would never have expected a General to accept the plan of a clone that wasn't even high ranking. Especially when she has only been our General for five hours.

Although I had to hand it to Ross, his idea was genius. And it worked, we had the enemy defeated within the next half hour. Now all the ships were returning. And the death toll is being counted. I head down to the landing pad to welcome the General and returning pilots.

I walk up to the General just as she dismisses her squadron. She turns around and her expression immediately hardened into an emotionless mask. She seems so unaffected, I wonder if she even cares. Though as soon as that bitter thought enters my head I'm reminded of her attitude towards Ross and our medic earlier. She's been nothing but respectful so far, I shouldn't judge her so quickly. She gives me a curt nod and falls in step beside me as we overlook the rest of the ships. I frown at the several wrecked fighters in the hanger, some still smoking despite the handful of clone fire squads working to put out the flames and haul away the unfortunate pilots of the damaged ships. I look up at General Sorna to see her mouth turned down as well. Her gaze fixed on the medical cots being quickly carted away with my wounded brothers on them. A glint of an emotion passes through her eyes. Regret? Shame? Concern? I can't tell because just as fast as it appeared, the glint is gone.

We are about to head to back up to the command center for the mission debrief when shouting sounds from across the hanger. The last ship was just dragged in and the hull is engulfed in flames. Me and the General both sprint over to see the commotion.

"We can't get the cockpit open! Controls are fried!" One of the fire officers yells as we approach. The pilot is still inside, he'll suffocate in there. Before I can react, General Sorna jumps from beside me onto the side of the ship. We all watch wide eyed as she activates her glowing green blade. I've seen lightsabers before but never this close. I must say, it's an impressive weapon. She digs the 'saber into the side of the cockpit. The metal slowly melts from the heat and after a few tense seconds the window pops open. The General quickly deactivates her weapon and reaches into the cockpit, pulling out the unconscious pilot with relative ease and jumping down. She hands him off to the awaiting medics and walks up to the fire marshel.

"Do you need any assistance with the fire?" She asks.

"No sir. We can handle it now. Uh, thanks for your help with the flyer." He says a bit apprehensively. Most of us are nervous at having a jedi around. Some of us aren't as good at hiding it. But once again she's proven to have good intentions. She could have left him in there and walked away, but she didn't. And she offered to help put out the fire too. I'm gathering that even though General Sorna seems to have little emotion at first, she is honorable. I can respect that.