9

Kagome practically skipped up the steps to the shrine with Shu following her at a more sedate pace. It was nice to be home, even if it was just for a few hours while she worked. When she reached the top, she was soon greeted by two men that she'd never seen before. They were wearing traditional clothes and gave a deep bow when they saw her.

"Lady Kagome, it is a pleasure to finally meet you," said the elder of the two. "My name is Fou, and this is my nephew, Haru."

"Wonderful to meet you, thank you for taking care of the shrine in my absence." She replied, giving them a bow in return.

"Please, it is an honor to care for the shrine of the great purification priestess. Without you, I shutter to think of the evils that might still be out in this world."

"In regards to that, you have remained clear of that storage shed and the well house, correct?"

Fou gave a nod. "Of course, as per the instructions of the Sakamaki family. We have maintained the grounds but have not approached those two buildings. May I inquire as to why those two would be off limits?"

Kagome shook her head. "All I can tell you is that those places are off limits for your own safety. And I want to stress to both of you that you are never to enter those buildings at the risk of your own lives and your very souls."

Shu listened to their conversation as he looked at the two buildings in question. Both were roped off with papers hanging from the ropes, blessings and wards from Kagome, he was sure. But even with the wards, he could sense strong evil attempting to escape from the one shed and power pulsing from the well house. Whatever was inside those buildings was nothing to laugh at. The two men seemed to realize that as well since they vigorously agreed before excusing themselves for the night and leaving the two of them alone on the grounds.

The miko turned to smile at him. "I'm going to go to the storage shed and get to work. You can do whatever you like, just please don't go into the shed or the well house."

With that, she turned away from him to do her work. Shu stepped over to the large tree in the yard and sat at its base while listening to his music. For once, it really was quiet and he could simply relax without anyone bothering him.

At least, that is what he thought until there was an explosion of power from the shed that his bride had gone into and he opened his eyes just in time to she her body flying through the air. He barely got to her in time to catch her before she could slam into the ground. Looking up to the shed, he was surprised to see that something inside appeared to be on fire but nothing else was burning.

He felt a bit of panic as his eyes looked over Kagome to check her for burns as she moved in his arms. He was relieved to see that not even her hair looked singed as she stared at the shed, a stunned look on her face. "Huh, didn't see that one coming," she said in a deadpanned voice.

"Explain," he demanded, wanting answers since his curiosity had been stirred.

Kagome continued to stare at the shed and the dwindling flames inside. "I just destroyed a cursed relic that I shouldn't have had enough power to do and I have no idea how I did it." Both continued to stare as the flames disappeared. Then, giving her head a shake, Kagome pulled out her cell phone and made a call.

"Speak," said the vampire on the other end.

"Something out of the ordinary has happened at the shrine and I think you should come here to observe and document the findings." She said before hanging up.

"Did you just hang up on Reiji?" Shu asked her with a raised eyebrow.

She shrugged. "It's easy to tell that he doesn't like phones and this is a situation where I could use someone who has, no doubt, done a bunch of research on me since I came into your lives." Then she smiled at the blonde before reaching up to draw his head down to her throat. "Thanks for the save, you deserve a reward."