Part 41: NEIGHBORHOOD, 30 Dec

NEIGHBORHOOD

                                                                          30 Dec

I tapped the space bar, which to my computer is the equivalent of an alarm clock, and waited patiently as my old IMAC struggled to open. Its hardware is now so old it can not accept the software updates Apple likes to plague us with every other minute. Being slightly beyond prime operating capability, I understand, even if I can not always be as patient as I am today.

My imaginary book is open and ready for the next tale to be written, whether it be another in the Weekend Write-In prompts, Amos Trotter, or some other tall tale I might create.

The stick figure is in his place in the upper left-hand corner of the left page. He is lying on his back this morning, hands under his head, knees raised as if he had been star gazing, perhaps looking for shooting stars.

Aware that I had finally arrived, he stood. Placing his hands on his hips (or at least where his hips would be if he had any) and said, "Did you show up with an empty brain again? Or will we possibly accomplish something today?"

"I slept, I had my coffee, saddle up cowboy, it's time to ride."

He cocked his head in a "what the heck is this?" posture. Then he cut loose with a "YEE HAW!" as he slid into the page, ready to go to work.

*****

Tad and Robin were just before reaching their first anniversary. They had dated for a while. Then, they were engaged for almost two years before deciding they might be able to tolerate each other for the long term. Both had brief stints at jobs that only filled the gap until job opportunities fitting their career path became available.

This early in their marriage, buying a house wasn't possible. But, they had found a nice double-wide in an above-average mobile home park. It would do for a start. They had moved in three months earlier and just about had it set up as they wanted.

The weather report for the last few days had been full of dire warnings of a severe band of storms making its way from the west. Although tornadoes were not common in the upper part of South Carolina, they did happen. Neither Tad nor Robin took the warnings lightly.

It was ten o'clock at night. The storm forecast said it would go through their area around midnight. "Why is it always in the middle of the night?" they asked themselves. There were already reports of tornadoes spinning off the storm as it marched east.

As they were about to go to bed, Tad decided to have one last look out the front door to see what might be developing. The wind roared and was very close. Tad had a sinking feeling in his stomach. Robin also peeked out. Hearing the noise, she said, "Oh shoot, Tad, we have to move. That is right on us."

Always trying to be prepared, they had discussed possible "what ifs" just the day before. The ditch by the road had a two-foot in diameter concrete culvert under their driveway. There was too much water running through to allow them to shelter in it. But the ditch was pretty deep. It would at least provide a depression. Somewhere to lie down, at least a little protected against the wind.

They got as close to the edge of the concrete as possible. Tad threw himself on top to protect Robin as much as possible. He also hooked one foot under the lip of the concrete, knowing it was probably useless, but at least it was something.

The noise was horrendous. The violent wind buffeted clothing. At one point, Tad felt himself being lifted off the ground. In what seemed like an eternity but was only less than a minute, the wind finally began to calm as the tornado moved through.

They lay still for another minute before Tad finally asked, "Are you okay?"

"I will be when you get you're lard butt off of me!" Robin replied.

Tad rolled to the side as he and Robin looked slowly over the edge of the ditch. The tornado had done its worst. All of the mobile homes in the park were a total loss.

"Well, there goes the neighborhood," Tad said in an almost deadpan tone.

Robin smacked him on the shoulder as she replied, "I am just glad we decided to buy that insurance."