Part 4; EXCUSE, Dec 10

EXCUSE

                                                                                Dec 10

The bell for his class had sounded at least fifteen minutes before the student eased himself through the door and did his best to shuffle quietly to his seat. He didn't look anywhere in the direction of the professor hoping that if he didn't make eye contact he might just make it.

"Ahh hmmmm," came the noise from the front of the class. It had to be the professor. The jig was up.

"If you had arrived on time, you might have heard me instruct the class to turn in the assigned creative writing on my desk. You were certainly not on time and it would also appear you have no story to turn in." There was a very smug tone in the professor's voice attesting to the fact that he liked nothing more than shaming any student that would dare not to meet his expectations in class.

"Uh, well, uh, you see sir I had the assignment done and I left home in ample time to not only get here on time but to in fact be early. I am afraid a complex series of most unfortunate events occurred which, although I tried my best, I could not avoid. The results of these events made me not only late but took away my superbly written assignment. A true masterpiece that, I am sure, if you had a chance to read you would agree was superb."

Ignoring the few giggles from other students the professor said, "This sounds like circumstances that must be shared with the class. Please, by all means, carry on. Don't give the fact that I am trying to conduct a class a second thought."

"I shall endeavor to do just that sir." replied the student quite seriously. "You see, I arose early and ate a good breakfast to ensure I started my day in the healthiest possible way. I then gathered my books and placed the writing assignment carefully in my assignment folder to ensure it would be turned in with no blemish or crease. Neatness counts you know.

When I got to my car what should I find but a flat tire? Not to worry, I thought. I certainly have everything in the trunk to deal with changing a flat and this sort of thing is exactly why I arose early. As it turned out, however, I was wrong. I did indeed have a spare tire but the jack was nowhere to be found. No problem, I thought, I will just walk to the bus stop and take the bus in. I still have loads of time.

I had just caught the bus and found a seat when a scruffy dude with terrible breath jumps from his seat, pulls a gun, and shouts that this was a robbery. My luck certainly was not improving. Fortunately, no heroes were riding the bus this morning and everyone dutifully handed over everything they had of value in exchange for not being shot. My hitch was that I had used my last bit of change for bus fare and I had nothing to trade for my life. You can imagine how embarrassed I felt. With either the gun or his bad breath the scruffy dude made the bus driver pull to the side of the road while he questioned me seriously about what I might offer up in exchange for not getting shot. I was thinking fast and getting quite nervous believe me.

I offered my fairly new sneakers but they were several sizes too big. I offered my jacket but he said he had an issue with wearing someone else clothes. I thought, but certainly didn't say, he must also have an issue with any sort of oral hygiene as evidenced by his breath. We went through each of my books but unfortunately found none in any genre he preferred to read. Then, on a lark, I showed him the creative writing story I had done for your class. He had barely gone through the first page when he told me it was great. So great in fact he took my story for all the passengers on the bus. After returning all of their valuables he jumped off of the bus and headed down the street barely able to take his eyes from the pages.

But alas, I am afraid all of these events have caused me to be late arriving in your class and, more's the pity, to have to show up with no assignment to turn in. Most regrettable sir, but I am sure you would agree better than you getting news of my death for refusing to hand over my writing assignment."

Heaving a very heavy sigh, the professor asked, "and, pray tell, what was your story about?" Maybe he was thinking this last little bit would be just enough to trip up his student.

"Well sir, it was about a most dedicated young student who, failing to have a written story to turn in for his professor, might just sway him to allow his assignment to be done orally."

After a moment of thought, the professor said, "you have an 'A', sit down.