3 | Tea

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

(please don't forget to vote. thank you so much for all the support)

>>>

"Run far away so I can breathe, even though you're far from suffocating me. But I can't get my hopes too high, 'cause every hello ends with a goodbye. But you're so hypnotizing"

~ Catch Me (Here We Go Again)

GRACE

"Welcome, make yourself feel at home," I said, leaving the door open for James to close. I walked over to my couch and sat down, releasing a relaxed breath at how good it felt to rest and to be home.

The slow pace of his steps was like a lion's roar in the presence of the room's deafening silence. I opened my eyes to catch his disheartened frown as he sat next to me.

"You should've taken me home," he whispered, his voice lower than before. He seemed disengaged as if he had other worries.

"But you said they would follow us there," I countered, confused as to why he was bringing this up again. We were on our way to where he was staying when we found several paparazzi camped around the entrance of his gated neighborhood. He insisted we turn around so they don't see us and I decided to just take us to my place.

"It's worse if they followed us here, they'd never leave you alone. I can't let them ruin your life and your privacy," he whispered, fidgeting with his fingers.

I scooted a bit closer to where he sat and caught his eye. "You need to stop worrying about me. If they did follow us here and try to ruin my privacy, I will deal with them on my own. That is not something you should be concerned with."

"But you don't under-"

"But nothing, James. Relax a little. You look stiff and that's not good for you," I said softly, laying back on the couch. When he didn't move, I patted the couch, "come on, do it for me, please."

He glanced at me, his eyes tight with worry. After a moment of him looking like he was debating with himself, he gave me a small nod and laid back next to me. I got a whiff of his strong scent and I suddenly felt sleepy.

"You look tired," he commented.

I'd closed my eyes and didn't feel like opening them, but I cracked a smile. "Ouch. For what it's worth, I've been up since five this morning."

He chuckled, sounding a slight bit more carefree. "I'm kidding. I am sorry about your date."

At that, I had to open my eyes. "Ah, it's alright. I've already decided I'm gonna die alone. Forever," I said dramatically, trying to lighten the mood.

It must've worked because rather than the soft chuckle from earlier, he actually laughed and it was such an addictive sound. My lips turned up in an automatic smile and I turned my head to look him in the eye.

"You know how to make a guy feel better," he noted. I watched as he stretched, trying to lessen the tightness of his muscles. However, when he relaxed, the stretching didn't seem to have helped.

"I have a heating pad if you'd like," I suggested, sitting up, "it really helps with that." I pointed to his shoulder. The tightness of it was so obvious and the pain it caused him was written all over his face.

He turned to me and quickly shook his head. "Oh no. It's just stress. I'll be fine in the morning. Plus, you've done more than enough for me tonight."

I fought a smile. "I'm not actually making the heating pad, you know? I'm just giving it to you."