Chapter 28: "...in sickness and in health..."

Author's note: Sorry about my absence, I've been dealing with writer's block. To make up for it you guys get two chapters today :) This bit of fluff, and one revolving around New Year's Eve 🫶

 Peppering kisses on my still stirring boyfriend's cheeks, lips, and collarbone, I'm urging him to get up, or he'll be late for work

Peppering kisses on my still stirring boyfriend's cheeks, lips, and collarbone, I'm urging him to get up, or he'll be late for work. Fifteen minutes ago his obnoxious alarm went off. No matter how many times I wake up to it, it's still terrifying. What's up with Apple's alarm sound being so traumatizing? I swear that whenever I hear it, I jump. But hey, at least it's effective? I mean, it does make me get up.

Pressing my mouth to his forehead, I take notice to how hot it is. Winter time, the worst season to work with children everyday. As a student teacher at an elementary school, he's especially susceptible to contracting germs during this time of the year. For the past few days he's been noticeably pale, but still went into work, refusing to admit that he may be getting sick. But today? Today he clearly can't deny it.

(Flashback to a few mornings ago)

Tiredly rubbing my eyes, I head down the staircase, my hands gripping the railing as I do. Sitting at our kitchen island, Nick is sipping on his daily cup of tea. Besides starting his day with a kiss of mine, (and some lengthy cuddles), he also kickstarts it with a cuppa. Steam is rising from the mug in his grip. With a bad case of bed head and a sloppily fixed collar, he looks handsome. Once I reach the kitchen I kiss his neck as a form of revenge. I typically wake up to him kissing me, or running a hand through my hair, but not this morning. This morning I was in and out of a state of sleep, hearing him rummage through his drawers for his typical teacher attire, and then setting them on our bed before going ahead and briskly showering.

"Good morning." I happily say, rounding the counter to look him in the eyes. He looks especially exhausted. Eye bags are sitting under his eyes as he struggles to keep them open. "Late night?" I ask, figuring that he stayed up to change something on his lesson plan. He simply shakes his head 'no' before taking yet another sip from his cup. The scent of herbal tea swirls around in the air around us.

Not wanting to let him go to work with a wonky collar, I make my way back over to him, and fix it. He leans against my chest for a moment or two, allowing his eyes to flutter shut. I run my hand through his hair, soothing him. He smiles, "I love you." I of course say 'I love you' back to him, though I'm distracted by how slightly pale he looks. After a few seconds of cuddling in the kitchen, Nick gets up, slowly shuffling over to where his car keys are.

Crossing my arms, feeling like something is up, I pipe up. "Are you okay?" Nick is quick to assure me that he's okay, just tired. His exhaustion just brought on a splitting headache, but he says that he'll be just fine, and to not worry. With that he tells me that he hopes I have a nice day at work, and heads out the door after petting Lily. I watch him pull out of the driveway and safely make it out of our neighborhood.

(End of flashback)

Nick lowly groans, whispering to me that he doesn't want to get up. Now knowing that he has a fever, I step out of the room and let his work know that he's sick, and can't come in today. Taking note of the time before I shut off my phone, I see that I have some more time before I also have to head into work. Slipping into our room, it's dark and comforting, allowing Nick to get the sleep that he needs.