Chapter 19: Trajectory

After my encounter with the white wolf, I called a meeting.

" I encountered a wolf twice my size and had hybrid wolves with them. He forewarned that in two months Cherokee will perish."

I hesitated, wondering if bringing up Waya's death could trigger an urgent response, " the wolf mentioned it has a connection with the death of Wohali ."

Whispers circulated through the pews filled with shock and speculation.

" Blasphemous!" My father yelled, his deep bronze skin flushed in anger as he rose from his seat, gearing to walk towards me.

" How dare you bring up your brother's name!"

" It's the truth, father," I state matter of fact, despite feeling beads of sweat prickle down my neck. Even after all these years, I still feared his temper.

My mother placed a hand on his shoulder, whispering something in his ear as he sat back down.

I was also thankful to the twelve elders seated before me. Elder Tallulah, Ahiga's and Kachine's grandmother stood up and spoke. She was a tall woman and used to be in the Navy.

She was more handsome than beautiful and raised them when their parents got divorced.

Divorce was something that was not only looked down on in our community, but it was unheard of. With there was togetherness there was unity, and without unity, a family couldn't thrive.

Their mother and father were banished from the community, and their grandmother stepped in to fill both roles.

It also didn't help that Kachine was an infamous womanizer, and none of the fathers in the community wanted him as a potential spouse to their daughters.

" If what Waya is saying is true, then we need to strategize a plan to protect our people, as well as the townspeople of Cherokee."

" I agree with Elder Tallulah," Elder Elu said, an elder who was born blind, his wrinkled face creased in concern.

" Our ancestors gave us the responsibility of protecting this land."

" Yet, we have never had such a dangerous and serious threat," Elder Hosa challenged an elder who specialized in the healing arts. He was a short and stout elder who resembled a garden gnome.

" This threat could change everything." The council of elders chatted amongst themselves.

" The elders will reconvene with a decision made by end of the day," Elder Enola announced, the meeting adjourned as people left.

The weight that I felt construct my shoulders lifted, but uneasiness settled in my stomach.

I felt a gentle and familiar hand rest on my shoulder, as my mother gave me a reassuring smile.

" You did great up there, disregard what your father thinks."

" He will never approve of me, no matter what I do."

Naturally, since my brother was older, he was the apple of my parent's eyes, the favorite and honorable son. While my mom's love kept me safe, my fathers' disapproval instilled in me a deeper insecurity.

I was never good enough, strong enough, or fast enough.

" Your mother is right," Nani chimed in, "You were brave up there. Wohali would have been proud." The mention of his name made her bottom lip tremble, and I felt guilty.