Chapter 2: Neck of the Woods

Waya's POV

The forest was shrouded in mist, the full moon making its way behind the wispy clouds as a chorus of howls trailed in the distance.

I lift my nose to the air, feeling the heartbeat of the earth beneath my feet my senses picking up every scent that encompasses the forest; damp earth, wood, and the pulse of the small living creatures that surround it.

The Cherokee National Forest encompassed areas of Tennessee and adjoins other states such as Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia. It was only of the safest areas for my pack, as well as the remaining Cherokee tribes that inhabited the south.

I felt the most liberated in my wolf form. I was the most at ease. I ran, catching up to the rest of the pack at the edge of Watauga Lake as the trees trailed behind me. The pack surrounded yet another dead human body, this time a 16-year-old boy who appeared to be a tourist in the area. His skin was so pale that it reflected the moon's color.

"Can you tell me what happened?" In my wolf form, I asked, my howl roaring as the birds in the trees chirped in fear.

We communicated telepathically in my natural form.

"He drowned in the lake," Ahiga, my pack's beta wolf, responded, his gray eyes concerned.

"We came here because we smelled human blood. He died before we could help him."

"Or turn him," Ahiga's younger brother, Kachine, interjected, his gaze downward in sorrow.

"This has gotten out of hand," I say.

"And there were no bite marks to be found? "No dog puncture wounds?"

"None," Nanye-hi replied, his mate's green eyes glossy and sad.

"Waya, if I may speak, this appears to be very targeted. Do you believe it's another wolf pack attempting to claim their territory, or something else?"

" I'm not sure, but I believe this has been going on for months. We will keep our eyes and ears fixed on the ground. It's also a good idea to ask around town."

We return to our original form with a final howl.

The Fae used an abandoned lake shed as a glamour to hide our clothes and storage.

As the rest waited outside for me to change into normal clothes, Nanye-hi slips inside and wraps her arms around my waist, fear and worry all over her aura.

While the others waited outside for me to change into normal clothes, Nanye-hi enters and wraps her arms around my waist, fear and worry written all over her face.

"I'm worried for the first time in a long time."

""I know," she says softly, "but we'll figure it out, we always do. Everyone looks to you as the leader to find a solution."

I clench my teeth.

" I know."

I'll always be there for you." She pulls her embrace away and walks away as I pull a simple thermal over my head, hating my position, hating the position of Alpha with every fiber of my being.

This was never something I desired.

In my head, I could hear my father's mocking voice.

It should have been your brother, but you're a disappointment and a failure who makes me sick.

I replay that day like a broken record, the trauma and pain so oppressive that it sometimes makes me want to die.

I meet the rest of my pack outside, everyone back in human form, shuddering from the memory.

"We will continue to investigate these human killings until the next full moon. Even if it means stepping outside our pack and asking for help. But for the time being, all we can do is go about our business as usual."

Nanye-hi lingered behind, her hand interlocked with mine.

"I think we should call it a night and go home."

Her soothing touch was pleasant for the time being, but I knew things were only going to get worse.

If only I had known.