Chapter 15: Illusions

What seemed like a fifteen-minute ride was close to half an hour in the city of Waynesville, west of Cherokee.

Coroner Felicia Stiggs retired from her position a little over a year ago, so I hope that the information that's provided from Wohali's death would bring more clues to the investigation.

"So, nothing else happened between you and Ahiga?" I had spilled the details of my weekend date with Amanda, who had been gushing about the whole ordeal.

" Unfortunately, no. I started to get a weird headache and then he drove me home afterward."

Amanda sighed.

I could still feel Ahiga's lips upon me, the way he danced with me.

" But, he actually stopped by a day later to check up on me."

" Oh?" Amanda quirked an eyebrow, her eyes on the road but they were lit with excitement.

" He had brought over some painkillers and some soup."

" Did he stay?"

" He didn't, but he actually asked to take me out again."

" And you said yes for sure?"

" I did."

" But you sound unsure. What is your hesitation?"

I couldn't tell her the real reasons and it had nothing to do with Ahiga but everything to do with Waya. A man that was emotionally and physically unattainable.

Yet I couldn't get him out of my mind.

Everywhere I went I always felt his penetrative gaze lingering, probing, searching.

Or maybe...

" In a quarter mile, turn right on Bell-view drive," The monotonous male voice on the GPS boldly stated, and I was brought out of my thoughts.

"Keiran, it's fine. I get your hesitation and know your intuition will lead you to do what you need to."

" I can't help but think what my intuition is leading me to, especially since coming here."

" My grandmother Ruby always used to say no matter how much the truth is buried,  it will always spring to life."

" You arrived at your destination," The GPS navigator informed us.

Amanda pulled into the driveway of a two-story Georgian-styled home, which looked like it was constructed in a rectangular style that was elongated. The house was a pewter grey with white trimming with a covered front porch.

" This is a typical North Carolina-style house. I reckon this Coroner has some money."

Amanda glanced up to the sky, a frown tugging at the corners of her mouth.

" The forecast says it may or may not rain. How long do you think we'll be here?"

" Hopefully we can get the answers we need in time. I'm sure Savannah wouldn't mind us coming in a little late."