Chapter 7: Problem

This was going to become an issue.

" Babe, you good?" Nanye-hi asked me, as I deeply exhaled through my nostrils, my jaw unclenching.

As soon as she left, I could breathe again.

Her scent mocked me and taunted me, my inner beast salivating and trying to savor her taste.

Smiling for Nanye-hi's sake, I caress her cheek as she leans into my embrace.

" You scared me for a bit, your eyes were glowing."

When we shifted, we usually retained our normal eye color.

But whenever there was an imbalance in emotions, our lupine form always sought dominance and would alter our human state.

If the wolf isn't contained, humans and wolves could merge and the change was irreversible. That only happened to tinge Moon Marked, people who were bitten by wolves as opposed to Blood Marked, whose bloodlines carried the spirit of the wolf.

Those centuries ago when my ancestors made that pact with the wolf demons, the spirit of the wolf dwelled in them. With the waxing and waning of the moon, we transformed beyond our human forms. But every deal made with an otherworldly being comes with a price.

But lately, I feel like I've been shifting out of control ever since Saturday. Her presence triggers my true nature, and it was starting to irritate me.

Who was this woman with this scent?

Ahiga looked at me quizzically, reading me better than most people I knew.

What troubles you, brother? His voice was as clear as day in my head.

It's hard to explain. Don't worry about me.

I wondered if they couldn't smell what I was smelling, and if so, then why?

Why me?

" Man, these fries never get old! Good thing for a fast metabolism," Kachine's loud munching usually was annoying, but today it was welcomed.

Irritated, Ahiga glared at his brother. " Can you not chew so damn loudly."

Ignoring his brother, Kachine downed his Corona and signaled the waitress by the name of June to come over.

June was Kachine's on-and-off hookup but was completely territorial of her. Their relationship was strange and June could have done better.

The number of women Kachine ran through was too many to count.

" We'd like more beer, beautiful," June blushed under his compliment and Ahiga rolled his eyes.

" Thank you June, we appreciate it," Nanye-hi said to the waitress, softening her gaze toward her.

Usually, everyone's schedule was busy, but the Elders had called an emergency meeting. The rising deaths were becoming a growing concern within the clan, and we might have to resort to outside help.

While I loathed seeking help outside of the wolf clan, we needed help. Badly.

The Harvest Season was usually a pivotal time for us, and as we had entered deeper into fall winter would be here before we knew it.

Plus, the Elders wanted me to accelerate my wedding with Nanye-hi, something I was avoiding and dreaded.

Nanye-hi's cell phone rang, as June had come back with a tray of beers and extra bar snacks.