Chapter 9: Severed Ties

A sharp piercing throb rippled across my cranium so intense that I couldn't keep my eyes open.

In the 25 years of my existence, I never had a migraine.

After work, I took the liberty to get groceries and make homemade quesadillas, since I was craving Mexican cuisine.

The pain hit me as I took out the onions on the cutting board.

" Shit," I mutter, the cutting knife dropping from my hand as I grip the island bar counters for support.

Was it the coffee I had earlier? The food from the diner? Like a thief in the night, the migraine struck me mercilessly.

Eyes closed, my hand trails along the walls until I reach the bathroom, going towards the cabinets.

Carelessly, medication bottles fall along the sink and on the floor until I find the pain killer, popping a couple in my mouth as a down them with water.

I sit on my toilet, taking deep breaths and my head in my lap. The pain was so intense that tears of frustration clouded my vision, wishing I had my mother or someone with me.

" Just take deep breaths, Kieran. This too shall pass."

I thought of good memories, birthdays with my family, anything to fill out the pressure building in my skull.

Minutes passed and the throbbing pain subsided, my heartbeat at a steady and normal pace.

Thank God.

I finished dinner, thinking about how weird that onset migraine was.

Was I stressing myself out? I would definitely have to make an appointment to see the doctor. It might have been just a fluke, but I didn't want to take any precautions so I called Savannah.

" Hey, Keiran, what's up?" I could hear a little girl's voice in the background as she was crying.

" Delilah what did I say about jumping off the bed?"

" Sorry, is this a bad time to call?"

" Oh heavens no! Is everything alright?"

"It's fine, I just had a little bit of a health scare. I had a slight migraine but it vanished."

" Oh no, that's not good. I'll call my doctor and set up an appointment. How about tomorrow morning? You can come into the office later in the day, but only if you feel alright."

" Okay, thanks."

" Don't ever feel like you can't reach out. That's what I'm here for. Did you eat something? I think I might have some herbal tea, it's a recipe my Nana used to make. How about I'll bring you over some tonight."

" But your kids," I reasoned and she laughed.

" They're a little rambunctious, but they'll be in bed soon! My husband usually likes to read them a story or two."

About half an hour later Savannah's truck pulls into my parking space.

I hear a light knock on the door and Savannah is standing there with a blue grocery bag in her hand.

Even without makeup, she looked even more stunning. Her hair was in a messy bun and she wore a black tracksuit that outlined her slender figure.

" How are you feeling?" She asked, a concerned expression on her face.

" I'm fine."

" You poor thing. I'm sure you want to get some rest, so I brought you a pitcher of tea and some other medicinal items. I made an appointment with Dr. Kanoska, and you can visit her around 9:30 am."

" Thank you, Savannah."

" If you ever need anything, I'm here. Plus you're a woman, living by yourself in a whole new city."

Savannah leaves and I take the items out of the bag. It consisted of the tea she made, painkillers, tiger balm, a sleep mask, and a few bottles of water.

A folded note was between the bottles of water as I opened it.

I recommend heating up the tea first. It's Ginger Mint and my Nana's magic tea.

Before I went to bed, I took a shower and slipped into a black lace-trim nightgown, a gift I had bought for myself.

Per Savannah's instructions, I heated up the tea and headed into my bedroom.

Placing the mug on the nightstand, I placed some finger balm along my temples.

Sipping the mint and ginger concoction I also tasted some spices as well as honey. No wonder it was her grandmother's secret recipe.

Relaxed, I placed my rose-pink silk sleep mask over my eyes, falling into a deep sleep.

I was barefoot running through a forest, and raindrops violently poured around me, making it hard to see. I was wearing a silk nightgown, the fabric clinging to every part of my skin as my hair stuck to my shoulder blades

In the distance, I could hear the chilling sound of howling, and it sounded like a wolf.

Damp and cold, fear propelled me to run farther away from the creature until I realized I was at the edge of a cliff.

Peering down below was the ominous blue-black water as waves crashed violently against the cliff.

Glancing behind me, I could see the shape of the wolf peering from the shadows as the rain had stopped.

Clouds parted and gave way to a full moon, and the wolf stepped into the moonlight. Its fur was a glossy black, and I don't think I've ever seen a wolf of that size and magnitude.

Its dark eyes captured me and I had nowhere to turn.

" Please, d-don't kill me," I pleaded, backing closer to the cliff's edge.

The wolf made a noise that sounded like whining as it tilted its head at me, the human gesture freaking me out.

I knew animals were intelligent, but not in this capacity.

The wolf came closer to me with every step drawing me backward to create more distance.

Closing my eyes to meet my fate, its wet nose nuzzled against my leg, the soft fur caressing my skin.

I guess I won't be killed then.

The wolf removed its wet nose after smelling me, took a step back, and transformed before my eyes.

The fur rippled, smooth skin replaced it. Standing on its hind legs, it transformed into a naked man.

In disbelief, I tried to scream but no sound came out of my mouth as I stood face-to-face with a very naked Waya.