Chapter 42: Good Things Don't Last

Akira's POV

Dad and I finished my hunt within half an hour. I had found a bunny relatively quickly and ate it. It did help satiate my hunger for the moment. If I could have gone off on my own, I probably would have if my dad did not have to go and teach the remedial class. He had locked me in just to be safe, and according to my classmates, they were in class until 2am. I do not know how the man can operate on so little sleep, but that did come in handy when I was a baby. 

However, I could not shake the feeling that someone was watching us before the hunt. My senses are all out of whack right now for some odd reason, so I could not figure out if someone was actually watching in. This entire camp is just frustrating me - inside and out.

We start the next day of training at the same time - early morning wake up call, and an even earlier wake up for me (being the teacher's son sucks sometimes). Once Dad makes sure all of the other students have started their training, he and Mandalay walk up to me to start mine. I simply close my eyes and move my head to the side so he can inject me with the ketamine to knock me out. Dad repeats the previous day's process: fill the syringe, give me the shot, and prepares to catch me. It does not work immediately like it did yesterday, but it still does they trick. I am met with darkness within ten seconds.

Third Person POV

Mr. Aizawa catches his son, who is more compliant today than he had expected. He is proud of him for how his hunt went yesterday - Eraser Head knows they are headed in the right direction. However, he takes note of the differences between yesterday and today. "That took longer than it did yesterday." He puts his son's unconscious body over his shoulder. 

Mandalay shrugs as they begin walking towards the cave. She can tell Class 1-A's teacher is concerned: Mr. Aizawa has an increased pace. She reassuringly says, "Maybe it is because he was expecting it this time?"

"Or maybe he is already growing a resistance to it," Mr. Aizawa retorts. It is not that Mr. Aizawa wants to believe something is wrong, but he has to look out for everything - especially since his boy is in a state of flux with his powers right now. 

The two reach the cave in no time. Quickly, they lock the boys wrists and ankles. Akira wakes up quicker this time, just as his father had expected. He takes in his surroundings while waking up from the sedative. 

Suddenly, he starts shaking his head back and forth. "No no no no," he mutters. Each "no" gets louder as Akira's dark powers overtake him. He cranes his back and screams, "NO!", but it turns into an inhuman growl at the end of it. 

The boy looks at his father with blacked out eyes, but soon shakes his head back and forth again. His father watches as the darkness backs away to reveal his red irises. "Akira," Shota Aizawa states, "is that you?"

"Y... Yes," the boy answers. He looks his father in the eyes and nods as he does so. Akira squints hard, moving his neck around in a circle. "Yeah, I'm... okay." He looks from his father, to Mandalay, to his father. With another nod, he repeats, "I'm okay. I'm me." His voice has its inhuman tone to it, but this form has always had that inhuman echo and deeper tone to it.

Mr. Aizawa turns to the heroin behind him. She nods with a small smile, confirming that Akira is telling the truth. Eraser Head responds with the same action then says, "Let's begin." 

He folds his arms across his chest, trying to hide his pride for his son. He messes with the cuff of his sleeve as he asks, "What is your name?"

"Akira Aizawa," he replies immediately. He readjusts himself, trying to stand as straight up as he can even though there is no ground to balance himself upon.