Chapter 16: The Finals Part 3

Akira's POV

I put my hands in my pockets, rolling my eyes. "Since when do you care about talking to people? I mean, do you even know my actual name?" I ask Bakugo, who is still leaning against the wall of the tunnel.

His mood changes from calm to anger in a split second. "Shut up, you bastard!" he yells. For someone who seemed so serious going into this conversation, he sure loses his cool super easily. Just as quick as he went from calm to angry, he calms down. "I've been meaning to ask you something, but I can never seem to get you alone. You're always with the half-and-half bastard."

I make a ticking sound through my teeth. "I'm guessing "bastard" is your favorite word." He is fighting the irritation from rising to the surface. "Don't you have a match to prepare for?"

He scoffs, "Why would I need to prepare for a match that I know I'm going to win?" His ego is the size of this entire stadium - maybe bigger. 

"Wow," I respond, "and here I thought Kirishima was your friend. Damn, man."

Bakugo walks up to me without responding to my last statement. I guess irritation intimidation is not going to work any longer. "What happened to you at the USJ?"

Oh shit... "I got my ass handed to me by a giant bird," I reply immediately. 

Bakugo grabs my shirt and pushes me up against the wall of the tunnel. "When that Nomu guy went to attack me, you showed up and kicked him back. You were acting strange. You were faster and stronger than you normally are. So what the hell happened to make you so strong?" 

"W...What the hell are you talking about?" I stutter. I look him right in the eyes. "I can't remember anything that happened after I got knocked out after trying to save my old man. Recovery Girl said that I was running on adrenaline right at the end. It was fueling me before I went into shock."

"That doesn't make any sense!" he yells as the collar of my jacket starts to smoke. His entire arm is up against my chest. Bakugo's face is inches away from my own. 

I shout, "I'm just telling you what she told me. It's not my fault it doesn't make any sense." I wouldn't believe me either. This is the single stupidest bullshitting I've ever done. 

His grip tightens around my collar. "Ever single round you have been holding back. It's almost shameful how much you hold back against our classmates." 

"What are you talking about? Bakugo, you're not making any..."

He chuckles, "When we face each other in the final round, I'm going to make you use those powers whether you want to or not. I don't give a damn why you don't use them against anyone else. The only way you are going to win against me is if you go all out like you did at the USJ." Bakugo shoves me against the wall, lets go of my collar, then starts walking out of the tunnel. 

"I seriously cannot catch a break..." I mutter. I slide down the wall. Staring at the ceiling, I whisper, "I've been so careless... I let someone like him see me... I..." The fire in my stomach builds enough for black spots to fill my vision again. "I... I need to..."

I can hardly see as I struggle to my feet. "It's... just around... the corner..." I repeat as I struggle to walk down the hallway. The crowd cheering outside the tunnel continues to get louder and louder even as I walk away from the entrance. Bracing myself against the wall, I take each step slow and unsteady. 

The second waiting room where I had left Shoto comes into my blurry view. I push myself off of the wall, rushing towards the door as I fall forward.

Third Person POV

There is a loud thud against the second waiting room's door. Todoroki jumps at the sudden loud noise. He expects someone to come into the room, but nothing happens after a minute of waiting. Quickly, he walks over to the door and flings it open - ready for an attack. His hand flies over his mouth. "Akira!" he yells at his friend on the floor. He kneels down next to him.