Chapter 31: Dark Akira

Third Person POV

The teachers stare dumbfounded at the boys. One has a icicle stake to the other's heart. One of them is frowning - stern and unmoving. The other is smiling - cheerful and inhuman.

Eraser Head stares at his son and his son's best friend. He had gotten a text from Shoto earlier before the end of remedial classes that said '911 - Akira can't leave. Need help'. Shota did not expect this to happen.

Akira - well, Instinct Akira asks, "What gave it away?" His inhuman voice makes it clear to the teachers who did not understand what was going on that something was wrong.

"I'm your - his best friend," Shoto exclaims. "Do you honestly think I wouldn't catch on to what was happening?" His hand stays firm around the stake.

"What? Was playing with your emotions too much?" Instinct questions in a soft voice. He smiles wickedly; his fangs gleam in the sunlight. His eyes still look like Akira's human ones. "Your heartbeat certainly told me something different."

Shoto falters for a moment, giving Instinct the time he needs. He knocks the icicle out of Shoto's hand. Instinct grabs Todoroki's wrist of the hand that formerly held the icicle. He uses his other hand to push Shoto over to where his back is now against the wall. Instinct then uses his hand to grab Shoto's hair. He moves the son of Endeavor's head to the side. Shoto tries to move out of Instinct's grasp. "Don't do this," Shoto yells. "Wake up, Akira! You know you don't want to do this!"

"That's where you're wrong, Shoto," Instinct says. His extended fangs brush against Shoto's neck. Chills go up and down Todoroki's body. "There's nothing I would rather do." He moves up to Todoroki's ear. He whispers, "And I think there's nothing you would rather have him do either." Shoto's eyes go wide, but return to normal before anyone can notice. Instinct growls with delight. "Because if you didn't want to be bitten, why did you relax when he almost bit you at the Sports Festival?"

Before Todoroki could respond, a familiar looking scarf wraps around Akira's neck. He gets pulled off of Todoroki and onto the ground. Instinct looks up at Aizawa as he pushes himself up. "You're no fun, old man."

Aizawa's scarf is now fully alive. His hair is up in the air. Shota activates his quirk and stares into the boy's eyes. The black-haired boy grabs his head and closes his eyes hard. He looks up at the heroes around him. "Pops? Uncle Mic? What's going on?" he questions.

"Akira?" Present Mic says. "Are you okay?" He turns to Shota, whose hair is still up and his quirk still activated. He approaches the boy slowly to help him to his feet.

A wicked smile crosses his face. "For pros, you're awfully gullible." Instinct reaches out to grab Yamada.

"Mr. Mic, scream!" Shoto yells.

After thinking it over for a quick moment, Mic uses his quirk on Instinct. His scream shakes the building. The boy grabs his ears immediately. He falls to the ground, screaming himself. Shoto can see the blood coming from his friend's ears. He can also hear a growl behind the screams.

Mic stops, and Aizawa immediately commands, "Restrain him!" All Might wraps his arms around the boy's broken form. Midnight places her hand over the boy's mouth and nose. Pink gas secretes from her pores.

"Miss Midnight, move your hand!" Shoto shouts.

Before she can question it, Instinct opens his mouth and attempts to bite the R-rated hero.  She moves her hand away quickly, even though the boy's movements are lethargic. "H...How? Somnambulist has always worked before?" Midnight says.