Chapter 2: The First Day at UA

(A/N: Credit to the artist of the picture - most of the pictures I will use will be from Pinterest)

It is about two months after the entrance exams. I take a deep breath the morning of the first day of school to get a mouthful of fabric. I push the material off my face and see the school uniform for UA on my face. "Put it on quickly, we are already running behind," Dad tells me when he walks in. It looks like he did not get much sleep last night - that's what you get for a night hero working a day job. Oh well, he will probably become a burrito sometime today anyway. 

Quickly, I get the uniform on. I have never been a big fan of any color but black, but seeing myself in the uniform made me feel pride. "Akira, come on!" I hear him grumble from the other room.

"Alright, I'm coming, old man," I shout with just as much attitude. I grab my black shoulder bag and run out of the room. 

Dad and I have lived in this tiny apartment since Mom died seven years ago. A two bed one bath apartment was just the right size for the two of us. It is pretty plain since Dad has not gotten time to decorate playing double duty. I have never been much for that stuff, so all we have is a couple pictures of the two of us. Dad never kept up any pictures of Mom - I guess it hurts too much. 

We took the school car up to UA. It is not too far from our apartment. "You're in my class," Dad explains. "I can make sure you do not go out of control."

I growl, "Pops, I haven't had an incident in years. You're making me sound like a wimp." 

Dad gets serious. "You are going into the school year with your third quirk almost completely untrained. I trained you rigorously with your Erase quirk, and Cementoss taught you everything he could about your mother's quirk since she never got to. I tried to make sure you were around as little people as possible to keep your instincts under control. The couple of times you came to school while it was in session, you were alright so I have faith that part will be alright." He sighs, "I just don't want you to get hurt, son."

I squeeze the strap of my bag. I decide to change the subject. "So how many students made it into the exam?"

Dad answers, "Counting you, 41 - 4 students made it in by recommendation while 38 made it in the entrance exam." He turns to me for a split second before returning his gaze to the road. "Shoto Todoroki was one of the four who got in on recommendations."

Goosebumps ran up and down my body. That is a name I have not heard since Mom was alive. "Wow" is all I could say. 

**********

Third Person POV: 9 years ago...

"Wow! That's so cool, Shoto!" six-year-old Akira said. He watched as his best friend made a snowflake out of ice in his hand. "You have your mom's quirk!"

The duel haired boy smiled with a nod. "Yup!" His face soon turned grim. "My father thinks I'll have his quirk too."

Young Akira put his hand on his friend's shoulder. "But then it will be your quirk," he replied. "That won't be so bad, will it?"

*********

Akira's POV

I shake the memory off as we approach UA. I hope today is not awkward because of him... I think to myself getting out of the car. Dad leads the way, and I follow close behind him. It only takes us a few minutes to ascend the staircase to where class 1-A is. I stare at the gigantic doorway. Dad opens the door to reveal a room with 21 desks. He points to the second row closest to the window. "Your assigned seat is the second from the very back. Todoroki will be right behind you," he explains.