Singapore 2022

When the lights went out in Singapore, the world fell quiet.

Charles held his position, held Max at his rear tyre.

Checo was pushing Max from behind, Carlos was right up there with them all.

They stayed all bunched up with each for the first few laps. While the rest of the field spread out, Max remained with Charles. Gaining an inch each time Charles had a lock up, which happened in most corners.

It soon was overtake after overtake. Max in the lead, then Charles in the lead.

Of course the media had all sorts of things to say about Charles's conveniently timed trip to America while Lexi was there. The media was eating it up. The rivals, enemies to lovers forbidden love.

Lexi didn't give a fuck, she was focused on winning this race. There was one lap left. Max was being pinched by both Ferraris. He was stuck between them.

"Max overtake on turn 4."

"But he locks up!"

"Confirm to overtake on turn 4."

"Why? Why Lexi?"

"We have time Max, overtake on turn 4. We are having fast sectors in 2 and 3."

Max had clicked the confirm button on his steering wheel. He was irritated, he thought turn 6 would be a better spot.

"Why not turn 6?"

"Stick with the strategy Max."

Max went for the overtake, it was beautiful.

Until Max cut it too close to Charles as he locked up.

Max spun towards Charles. Somehow, the Ferrari remained in fairly good shape. The Red Bull, not so much.

Lexi knew the race was over for them, regardless of a virtual safety car.

By the time Max and the car got back to the garage, the race was over.

Most of the team had gone to support Checo, who had finished third.

Charles had won. Lexi was happy for him but she was disappointed in Max. He had shut the door from the outside. He was given the penalty.

The garage was empty when Lexi walked out of the office, of the crew that wasn't at the podium on the other side of the pit wall.

She barely saw Max out of the corner of her eye.

"Why the fuck would you ask me to do that?"

She jumped at his voice and turned to see him rushing over to her. She took a few steps back as he was coming at her.

"You fucking knew that he would lock up in that corner! You fucking knew."

He pointed his finger at her. He was pissed. His tone and volume told her that much.

"Max, I..."

"What?"

His words lashed out at her. There wasn't much space between them now. He repeated himself.

"What? You just wanted your boyfriend to be on the podium again?"

She knew she couldn't reason with him right now. His emotions were flaring and hers were too. Did he not think she was disappointed in how they did too? She just shook her head and went to walk past him.

He grabbed her wrist and yanked her around sharply.

"Max, I need to go to the podium."

He set his grip on her wrist and pulled her in.