His Girl

Max had to overtake Lewis, Carlos and Charles before they could give either him or Checo a shot at winning. Yet he had to watch behind him, George, Lando and Alonso were right there with him.

The team had done a fantastic job overnight fixing the car. It was running well and they should have the same pace they had earlier in the weekend.

Alexis walked out to the grid with her father, followed by the car.

Sky Sports had requested to do a short interview with both of them.

"Christian, Alexis, thank you for joining us. After yesterday's retirement, how are you feeling?"

"Well you know, its always a shame to lose a window to qualify with the driver, car and tyres at optimal performance. Yet our team worked hard in the garage and behind the scenes to make today possible.  We are all looking for a very strong fast race."

"Alexis, do you have anything to add?"

"Everything Christian said is correct. We are expecting a very fast race from both cars. I wouldn't be surprised if you see two Red Bulls coming out on top within the first few turns of the first lap."

"Thank you guys so much for your time."

Alexis walked over to Max's car and bent down a little to talk to him.

"Wide on turn 3. I mean wide. You'll compromise most of the car's exits."

He just nodded. Alexis made it off to the side of the grid right at the Red Bull pits. She looked at car 16 perhaps a little too long. She could see Charles looking back at her.
She could have sworn that he gave her a wink before pulling his visor down.

She climbed up through the barrier and took her seat at the pit wall. She slid her headset on.

"Radio check Max."

"I'll listen to you today."

"Then it'll be a P1 and P2 finish for the team."

Carlos' clutch release was slow. Lewis and Max wailed right past him. Checo was defending his position well. He needed Max to pressure Charles though.

Max went into turn 3 really wide, just as they had planned. When he came out of it his front wing was even with Leclerc's front tires. Max pulled back a little bit. About a half of a car length from being even with Charles.

"Clean Max."

That's all she had to say. Most of the drivers liked to be left alone. But sometimes they needed reminders.

Like when Max clipped Charles' side pod with his front wing. Both cars wobbled before straightening up as they entered the turn.

"Max, warning from FIA. Collision with Leclerc."

"He tried to push me off the track! Can I not push him back?"

"Its under investigation. Head down and push."

Max did just that. He was able to pass the Ferrari in a DRS zone.

"2.8 gap to Checo."

Their strategy was flawless. Both cars continued to pull away.

"Norris just set the fastest lap, can we quicken our pace?"

"I can try."

"Don't push it, let's hold our position first."

There was five laps left.

Checo and Max moved through the track at ease.

"Max, overtake, overtake."

"What?!? No!"

"Max overtake."

"Why! He's been leading the whole race. I won last race."

"Max just overtake. He's going to start slowing. Keep up your pace."

"Fuck."

Checo had lost power, something was going wrong with the powertrain.

Max overtook him with three laps left.

Checo carefully held his position the best he could. Max crossed the line, then Charles, followed by Lewis. Checo had held Carlos to the end but ultimately Carlos overtook Checo. P1 and P5.

The team couldn't complain but the loss of power in the powertrain was alarming.

Alexis started to pour over the data and information on Checo's car. She wouldn't let it happen again. They could have had more points this race.

Checo put a hand on Lexi's shoulder.
"You should be at the podium."

"No, you should be on the podium. We'll get this figured out."

The systems showed nothing wrong. Alexis pulled the senior engineers to the side.

"I have to be missing something."

"I agree Alexis, the data shows nothing that cause it to lose power. When we pack up the car we'll investigate."

"Thanks, guys. Keep me posted."

She started her walk down to the podium via the pit lane. She found her father in the crowd and watched the ceremony. Her eyes may have lingered a little longer than they should have on Charles, on the podium.

She was broken from her spell when the hair on the back of her neck stood up.
She looked straight into Max's stormy eyes. He was watching her. He saw her looking at Charles. He wanted to pretend it had just been a one-time thing. He was going to make it a one-time thing.

Champagne sprayed, then it was time for the team to pack everything up and do it again a few weeks later.

Yet Lexi didn't miss an opportunity to tease Charles. She barely breezed past him at the hotel but he still caught her comment.

"Fast but not fast enough Leclerc."

*Author's Note*
I love yall so much! Thank you for the support. The next few chapters are going to be a little bit shorter just as they are kinda filler chapters.
Chapter 7 will be lengthy so be prepared!