Chapter 111

A tear strayed down Madison's cheeks as she glanced at Damien's still form on the bed.

She had her hands clasped in his left hand, and she brought his palm up, placing a soft kiss on his knuckles, pecking gently.

Her tears streaming freely now, she sniffed as she broke into sobs holding his hand tightly.

So tight that she didn't want to let go at all.

She never wanted to leave him.

Her fingers tightening, she muttered a lengthy apology over and over again, wishing that it would be able to convey how sorry she was, but she knew her efforts were fruitless.

Oh, how she wished she could take everything back.

She wished she'd never tried to leave the country, and instead, she would have given him a chance.

At least then, they would be together, and they would know how to solve Katherine, who was a menace to their relationship.

If she'd stayed, maybe all these wouldn't have happened, and she wouldn't be in a hospital, by his bedside day and night, praying for him to wake up and look at her.

Fuck! She missed him so much, and whenever she remembered that she had put him in this position, it hurt all the more.

She didn't even care about all the sufferings she'd gone through... or even the traumatic, horrific experience she'd endured at the hands of Katherine and her men.

She was still healing and trying so hard to be strong, but she just couldn't.

None of those experiences mattered now, and they couldn't compare to what Damien had done.

He'd taken a bullet for her. He'd died for her. He'd sacrificed himself and his entire being all for her.

"Oh, Damien, why did you?" She uttered softly, asking the somewhat rhetorical question.

"You could have just stayed right where you were. You didn't have to save me, and now I'm suffering because of your decision. I'm dying inside, and it's all... Oh gosh!" Madison cursed, her teeth gritting as another new torrent of tears fell down her face.

Sniffing and grabbing a napkin from her bedside, she dabbed at her wet face, trying to keep the tears at bay and instead think about other things.

A small, sad smile on her face, as her eyes roamed about the empty room - since she was the only one with him - Madison began to reminisce fondly about the past few days' events.

Passing by quickly like a blur, the last week had been a rather shocking one, and even as she tried to convince herself now and then that what had transpired in her life was a joke or dream, she could vividly see that it was reality.

She was practically living in it, and it felt so surreal.

Madison still couldn't believe that she'd reconciled with her father and brothers and that the Connors and Daniels had put their lifelong chivalry to the side and forgiven each other.

Damien's mother and sister had flown down from New York, and the nice woman had reconciled with Madison's parents, claiming that the past was all behind.

Alvarez was also around, and he'd now developed a cordial relationship with her brothers.

Everybody seemed to be doing okay, forgetting irrelevant memories, dropping feuds aside, and now they were all united and trying to be strong for Damien.

If only all these reconciliations had happened before this incident, they'd have escaped it and... Well, fate was inevitable, but one thing Madison did know and strongly believe was that fate would make sure Damien woke up hale and heartily and they'd have their happy ending.