Chapter 9

"Sure." Madison assented, nodding to Alvarez's idea of having some coffee at a nearby shop he had sighted on his way to her motel. "I do need some fresh air after all this crying," She joked.

She didn't think it necessary to tell him that the said coffee would be the first thing she was having today. If she did, she knew he would insist on getting her something to eat. And she didn't wish to be anyone's burden.

The worried look on his face told her that be didn't think it was that amusing, but she waved it off, glad that he was here as he helped her pack her luggage into the trunk of his car.

Madison turned to face Alvarez as he suddenly began to laugh heartily. "Hey, watch the road," She warned jokingly, joining in his contagious laughter although she wasn't sure the reason for it. "What's so funny anyways?"

"I just remembered when I used to help you sneak out to watch those circus shows your father thorough despised." He laughed again. "We really were some trio weren't we?" She joined in his laughter, the memories pouring in.

Something clenched in her chest as she was suddenly filled with a mixture of nostalgia and pain. Nostalgia for those times when she had not a care in the world, when she was happy and free. And pain, because all those memories were associated with the one person she wished to forget.

"Whatever happened with your family? I mean it's still quite a shock for me that the Connor empire would fall, just like that. That's terrible. Where is everyone?" Alvarez asked, taking a sip of his black coffee.

She began to fidget in her seat. The last thing she wanted to do was delve into the past or talk about my family. And although he had promised her that none of the information she gave him would get to Damien, she couldn't shake off that feeling.

Damien had his ways of getting what he wanted. She knew that all too well. She couldn't just lay all that out for them to see. Especially the fact that she was pregnant...

No. She wouldn't do that. She couldn't...

So instead she waved her hands in the air. "All of that is in the past now," She said, avoiding his questions. "I'm tired of reminiscing and feeling bad for myself. I just want to enjoy my time with my best friend."

From the worry in his eyes, she knew he would still bring it up later, but for now he let it go.

Quickly, she raised her coffee cup to the lips to hide the tears that had begun to form in her eyes. Talking about her past always reminded her of the very things she wanted out of her memory, no matter how hard she tried to forget them.

She didn't realize that her hand was instinctively clutching her abdomen tightly under the table until she looked down.

Holding her stomach, feeling pain cut through her chest as the memory of her miscarriage came to mind, Madison's lips quivered embarrassingly.

For a moment she was tempted to tell Alvarez about it.

She didn't want to keep this secret anymore, and she felt like telling another soul about her pitiful tale but she held herself back at the last minute.

She snuck a glance at him from across the table, and she saw the huge, compassionate smile on his face. She knew he would understand, she knew he would understand her pain, and probably offer her a shoulder to cry on, but she couldn't say anything.

The same way he was her best friend, he was also Damien's best friend. And anything could happen, something could slip. So she couldn't afford to take that risk. That was the one secret she wanted to take to her grave. Besides, Alvarez had already felt bad enough for her today. That was enough pity for one day.

Straightening up and putting on a smile, she asked, "Why aren't we talking about how amazing it is that you're married?! And with a kid? That's so cool. How are they doing?"

Alvarez chuckled. "Thanks, Madison. What can I say? I fell in love. She and my daughter are the light of my life. I don't know what I would do without them. And my wife is two months pregnant again as well."

Madison felt a painful pang at the mention of the word 'pregnancy' but she swiftly brushed it aside.

"I'm so happy for you Alvarez, so freaking happy." She mumbled with a smile, reaching out to rub his arm from across the table. "I always knew you'd be the perfect family man. It looks great on you."

In a short span of about thirty minutes, Madison found herself laughing more than she ever had in years as Alvarez fed her with anecdotes from the past few years of his life.

Still laughing, she checked her phone, jumping up immediately. "Shit! It's been over a hour," She announced rushing to her feet. She still needed to find a place to stay.

Alvarez noticing that she wanted to leave, asked her to wait as he paid the due bill for the coffee they had and soon they were out of the coffee house and walking down the streets.

Some minutes later they were both seated in his car, with Alvarez starting the ignition and zooming into the road.

"I don't want this to be the last time we keep in touch. I lost my best friend once, and I'm not ready to lose her again." Alvarez said, passing his phone to her to input her number. She smiled, doing the same.

"It won't be." She promised but her mind had already begun to wander to her present situation.

What on earth what she supposed to do now? She wondered. She had nowhere to go, no money to spare. She was completely stranded.

She looked up in surprise when he stopped in front of a motel.

"Why are we..." He interrupted before she could finish, "I know I should've asked first. But Madison I can't bear to see you living in that rundown motel. Please let me help. Please let me."

Her face heated. She had been too embarrassed to ask him for help although she was in desperate need, and here he had seemingly read the situation and need of her lips.

She stared at the motel and back at him again, her jaw open lost for words.

She couldn't even reject it because if she did, where would she go?

She felt tears prick the back of her eyes as he handed her the keys to the room he had paid for.

"Thank you." She muttered, holding back the tears that threatened to fall.

In response he enveloped her in a tight hug. "There's no need for that. You're my best friend, it's not a big deal. It was nice seeing you again."

Madison melted into the hug. The first warm embrace she had received in years.

"I'll visit before you leave for London. That's a promise."

As he waved her goodbye and drove off, she turned on her heels, rushing into the motel.

When she located her room, talking to the receptionists who seemed kind up her she quickly rushed in shutting the door behind her.

When she was safe within the room, she let the bitterness in her heart fall free, clutching at her chest as tears streamed down her face.

Falling to the floor, dropping her bag Madison cried her heart out, the agony and pain tearing at her chest...

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕