Chapter 14

Madison swallowed nervously, her heart pounding as she hurriedly ran after Alvarez.

She silently prayed that whatever had him in such a mood, was not as bad as she had already begun to imagine, because a lot of different scenarios had already started to play out in her head.

Deciding to hear from Alvarez first before jumping into conclusions and giving herself a heart attack, she walked faster to get to him, and soon she sighted him.

He was just about to go into his bedroom, and she caught him on time.

"Alvarez!" She called out, making him pause in his steps, as he turned to look in her direction.

He frowned, a bit surprised to see her, she could see it in his countenance but that was the least of her worries now.

Already out of breath from racing so fast after him, she finally got to where he was standing, and exhaled in relief slowly.

"Madison... What's the matter? Did something happen in the kitchen?" He asked, panic already obvious on his face.

She shook her head quickly, "No, no, nothing happened." When he had visibly relaxed, she faced him fully and said again, "I'm here to see you."

"Me?" He frowned.

Madison shook her head, "Yes, I want to talk to you. I saw the look on your face when you walked through that door, and I immediately sensed that something was wrong. What's the problem? Talk to me...and don't even dare try to deny it too. I have a feeling that it has something to do with me and... Just talk to me Alvarez, and leave nothing out." She warned, ignoring her pounding heart and the voice in her head that kept telling her this was something really bad.

The fact that she still had the feeling that it had something to do with her, made her curiosity much worse.

No, there was no need to jump into conclusions, she chided herself. She needed to hear from him first. Maybe he was just having a bad day, and here she was being jumpy about everything.

Madison decided that she should be more supportive, after all she was his friend before she was his guest, but still he had to tell her what the matter was.

"Oh..." Alvarez finally replied after some time, bringing his hand to his forehead and rubbing hard on it, "It's nothing, Madison. Work was just really stressful today."

"Alvarez..." Madison said in a warning tone.

She had known Alvarez long enough to decipher and differentiate when he was telling the truth, and when he was lying.

And right now though, as she was clearly seeing, he was lying, and blatantly at that.

"Don't give me that. I know that's not it. Something's the matter, I can read it on your face. So please talk to me...I'm worried about you, really worried."

Sighing, Alvarez raked his fingers through his hair.

"It's Damien." He finally said after a few minutes, and she nearly reeled back.

Damien? Just as she'd feared, and now her breath caught in her throat as thoughts flew into her head.

No, no, no! She shouldn't panic, it could be something else, but what Alvarez said next was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

"He found out... about everything. As expected he isn't too happy about it. Apparently, pictures of us leaving that motel are all over the internet. I think he must have seen them there. We got into a huge disagreement at work this morning. He knows you're here, in my house. And he threatened to fire me if I don't have you out soon." When he finished, he let out a loud sigh adding, "But it's okay, you don't need to worry about anything."