Chapter 7: Butterflies

Mias Pov:

I'm wiping down the counter when I notice Tyler and Aiden talking. Aiden looks tense and Tyler has a smug look on his face. What are they talking about? Just as I'm about to walk over there Aiden throws his arm back and punches Tyler in his face. I gasp and run over to them. Aiden is repeatedly punching Tyler while he lays on the floor.

"Aiden stop!" I scream trying to get his attention. It's not working. I go to pull him off of Tyler and his arm flies back and he elbows me in the nose.

I yelp in pain while Rylee and Aidens friend Reggie come running over. Reggie pulls Aiden off of Tyler and Rylee comes over to see if I'm okay. Aiden turns to me and realizes what he's done. My nose is dripping with blood.

He reaches for me and I flinch. I didn't mean to, it was just a reaction. Aidens eyes fill with guilt as he pulls his hand back.

"Mia, angel I'm sorry" he breathes out. I know he's sorry but this wouldn't have happened if he didn't start a fight. Reggie grabs ahold of Aiden and starts walking him to the door. He has his hands in his hair and he's muttering I'm sorry over and over under his breath. I feel my chest start to hurt when he hunches over and starts to cough, holding his chest. Reggie cursed under his breath and says something about Aiden needing to rest. Aiden doesn't turn around to look at me once he's out the door. He just leaves.

Rylee takes me so the bathroom to clean up, she sent Tyler home, said he needed to clean up and rest. I don't understand what made Aiden want to hit Tyler. I want to ask him but I can't bring myself to text him.
--------
I'm sitting in bed when I hear someone open the door downstairs, I didn't lock it so it could be anyone. I slowly walk down the stairs and peek around the corner to see Aiden slightly swaying on his feet. What is he doing?

"Aiden" I whisper

"Angel, I'm sorry. Forgive me please. I didn't mean to hurt you." He stumbles over to me, nearly falling over. He's drunk? Why? I sit him on the couch and go to get him some water. When I come back he's holding his chest and trying to control his breathing.

I make him take a few sips of the water before I set it down and sit on my knees in front of him. "Why do you do that" I ask him as I put my hand over his heart. It's beating really fast. He looks at me and gives me a lazy smile.

"Because I'm dying" he whispers. What? Is he being serious?

"Wh-what are you talking about Aiden?" I stutter.

"When I was eight I had a heart transplant. My body is starting to reject it. I have a year to get another heart or I die." He says it likes it's nothing. Like it doesn't matter. "They put me on a list, i have to wait till they find me a heart" he adds. My heart cracks in my chest.

"So you're just gone if they don't find another one" I feel my eyes starting to water and I don't try to keep the tears in.
He nods his head at me and cups my check, I grab his hand a press little kisses to it.

"I'm sorry I hurt you Mia, I didn't meant to hit you." His voice is shaky, like he's going to cry.

"Why did u hit him" I whisper up at him. He looks between both of my eyes and lets out a long breath.

"He was saying things about you, things he wanted to do to you. I couldn't listen to him speak about you like that." He grips his hair in his hands and squeezes his eyes shut. "I can't believe I hit you, I can't believe I did that to you" he crying now, his shoulder shaking.

"Aiden look at me" I remove his hands from his hair and cup his face. "It's okay, I'm not upset with you" I whisper. He shakes his head and squeezes his eyes tighter. "Please look at me" I stroke my thumb over his cheek. He opens his eyes and stares at me.