[Chapter 12] - i guarantee you'd keep it secret

---

May 3 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden

A very active schedule the two bands are to engage at for the day. Having the whole arena the entire period from sunrise to sunset, a fortunate advantage for both to utilise.

I Dont Know How But They Found Me is first to soundcheck while Panic! at the Disco is practicing in a large green room.

Brendon is instructed to relax by his manager. To rest the leisurely time he has before tonight to reserve energy. At least that's what the singer is expected to.

Located afar the side of the stage, he reviews paperwork and an important contract on his laptop. The complete opposite of his instructions.

He sits cross legged on the floor while watching Dallon. Being close to him as possible.

With a baggy hoodie and round sunglasses, he wasn't doubtingly adorable towards the bassist's eyes.

The two are working on their own separate jobs, yet still able to be near each other. A part they both greatly be-love 

Brendon smiles before diverting his eyes back to his screen. A notification pops up below the dashboard. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Notification Reminder:

DALLON'S BDAY

(Tomorrow)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Urie had so much to work on that he'd almost completely forget about his loved one's special day. The effort spent on business has occupied his time lately. 

He knows that it can't be anything worth a large effort otherwise Dallon would be opined to the idea. 

Something simple yet still considerate.

He watches as Zak Cassar from far away, circulates around the stage, finding angles, and bending to his knees with his large camera. The photographer is focusing on capturing pictures of the band during their sound-check.

"Hey, Zak?" Brendon's head looks up.

"What's up?" he nods, and approaches the singer on the ground.

"Have you been recording a lot of the I Dont Know How group? Do you have it on footage?"

"Yeah. Just not today's because I'm still videotaping. Everything else, however, is on a flashdrive."

"May I see it?"

"Sure..." 

Zak kneels down and removes his backpack with its straps. The photographer forages under a small pocket and opens a small pouch.

"What are you going to use it for?" he presents the small usb in front of him, then hesitates to entrust him with it. "I'm just messing with you. I was just curious that's all,"

"I don't know what to get for Dallon's birthday tomorrow. I thought maybe looking over footage you got of him could possibly help me come up with any ideas.."

"How about this." he pauses and bends down more to see more eye-to-eye with his friend, "What if you pick your favourite bits of Dallon, then you can ask Jake and I to make a special compilation of him before tomorrow?"

"Isn't that a bit corny..."

Zak simply chuckles and stands back up. 

Leaving the question to be answered by himself, the photographer resumes his work and leaves Urie be.

- - - -

After reviewing a week of long footage, he did enjoy watching Dallon and how happy he is with his own band. The shenanigans that happen when he isn't around and his friendship with his bandmates. Yet Brendon still cannot conceptualise any ideas. 

He notices the pencil case Zak took the flashdrive in earlier is still open. He checks the photographer's location and notices his head is out of direction. 

Brendon can't help but peek into the pouch beside him and finds several other drives and micro msd cards lying inside.

He explores without any hesitation as he picks dates that contain older footage.

In the very bottom, a date catches his eye. 

2017. 

The year Dallon left Panic!.

Even though Jake Chamseddine is not on tour, he must have sent Zak old files. 

And indeed he found the folders. It contained old, raw footage of everyone, including Dallon when he was still in the band. 

But before Urie can properly watch the tapes, iDKHOW wraps up their soundcheck. 

The technicians and stage crew immediately scatter to re-arrange certain gears on mounts. Too loud for Brendon to even hear a thing from his laptop, even with headphones on.

Before having the chance to escape, his tour manager grabs him and takes him to his next scheduled plans.

Call for press, soundcheck, and vocal chord treatment. Typical.

- - - -  

Brendon kept the flashdrive safe in the pocket of his hoodie, fumbling around with it for hours, impatient of how long it took before finally being able to have free time.

It's almost close to doors opening up to the public, meaning everyone is busy with something. But Brendon wanted to be alone, unaccompanied for no distractions.

In full speed, he darts into the tour bus, grabs his laptop, and shut himself inside his capsule. Finally isolated. 

Video after video, in the dark, he learned the disquieting truth about Dallon.

None of them really displayed the man's genuine happiness. Dallon seemed so out of it, lost, and most of all, disregarded by his fellow bandmates. Was it always like this to the bassist? The thought that plays in Brendon's mind. His stomach fell.

What was playful banter, turns out looking like neglect on film. He feels the second-hand pain through the screen and it causes Brendon a distressing inadvertence. 

Yet in hopes of even finding a single video where they all got together, it is all either Dallon mostly alone or noticeably trying his best to fit into a group he doesn't quite relate to.

After watching, it is concluded that Dallon truly wasn't happy being with them. And Brendon failed to notice that mistake. 

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." Urie whispers to himself.

- - - -

After the concert, Brendon wasn't as involved with the bands this time. 

The complex trouble has been eating him up. No one can truly understand the difficulty of his issue. It is a situation he put himself in years ago, unpleasant to even explain now. The man is filled with anger and self-disgrace.

Sleeping felt even harder than staying awake. His body is exhausted but his mind plays tricks on himself. He can't possibly fall asleep at this state.
Who would?