88┃you promised

Start from the beginning

She somewhat knew that he would alarm her sooner or later. But for the first time, she understood why he did not request her to be by his side-he could not bear to hurt either of them. She did not want him to feel guilty for possibly breaking her again.

And so she placed a kiss on their son's head for him.

❦ ❦ ❦

EVERYBODY EXPECTED Norah Lawrence to scream, to cry, to trash their apartment... but she did neither of those.

Her days continued-consults, research, daycare, physical therapy-then, she would spend the night in Mark's room, sharing with him about her day.

It would be the same; sometimes, she would joke about the idiots who came into the ER after a freak accident or rant when there was an awesome neurosurgery that she could not operate. There were days, where she would bring Kai along with her because the father-and-son, too, needed each other.

It was a constant loop.

But what scared her the most was how it hurt lesser and lesser every time he did not respond to her words.

"Your eyes... They're pretty."

"And yours are the only reason I'm sane right now."

She started to miss the bright blue eyes that glowed up whenever he saw her-the one she frequently lost herself in, taking a dip in them whenever she needed to shelter herself from the harshness in the real world.

Please wake up.

❦ ❦ ❦

NORAH CAUGHT A GLANCE at the intern, who stood a distance from the nurses' station, staring at the surgeons in navy scrubs. She raised a brow before clicking her tongue, gaining Bailey's attention.

The attending followed the brunette's gaze to the intern, who hugged a thick chart in her hand, her face looking fearful and slightly pale. "What's the problem?"

"I have these labs... for Dr Grey," Jo Wilson replied, her voice quavering.

"Well, then give them to her," Bailey deadpanned, and the intern walked towards them, slowly-and unsurely.

"I've been waiting for those for over an hour."

"I had to do an admission-"

"Stop making excuses," Meredith cut her off harshly while seizing the chart from the intern's hands.

"Sorry."

"Stop apologising."

"Oka-"

"Stop talking," Meredith snapped. Norah let out a low whistle while Bailey had the corner of her mouth turned upwards, notably taking pride in the surgeon that was once her intern. Jo looked horrified.

"His lactic acid is normal. What does that tell us?" Meredith lifted her head from the chart to the intern, who stared back at her. The latter's words caught in her throat as she stared at the attending with a conflicted look on her face. Meredith sighed, "You can talk now."

"That he's probably not septic, so he's gonna be fine," Jo answered hastily, and Meredith tilted her head at the intern. "Although-his white cell count is elevated, so I should probably keep an eye on that-In fact, I will keep an eye on that so that he doesn't go-"

"Go to the pit and try not to kill anybody," Meredith cut her off at her unamusingly; Jo exhaled shakily before hurrying off.