38┃you look like hell

S5 EP18

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, this is Mr David Young," Mark introduced. "Today, he'll be receiving a face transplant." David sat on the hospital bed; more than half of his face was gone from severe facial trauma.

"Dr Hunt and his team'll be recovering the donor facial graft," Mark informed, moving the mouse on the screen, "We're replacing seventy percent of Mr Young's face. You can see the deficit here."

"Or here," Mr Young offered. Some doctors chuckled quietly; some were sending the patient uncomfortable stares.

"The donor recovery will include his nose, left eye, lips, left zygoma."

"Why will allotransplantation work better than traditional techniques?" Owen quizzed.

The group of interns and residents looked at each other, but none of them had a clue. Norah and Timothy shared a look, and he shrugged at her. Seeing that nobody could provide an answer, she raised her hand. "Allotransplantation has a better aesthetic outcome, which allows for re-enervation of the facial nerves," she answered, "Hence, giving the face a better functional result."

"Very good, Dr Lawrence," Owen nodded.

"We'll position the flap over Mr Young's face," Mark resumed as the animation displayed on the screen. "How do we know we're in the clear?"

This time, Kirian shot up his hand. "When the graft turns pink."

Mark nodded at the intern, though his eyes wandered to the resident. "Dave, any questions for us?"

"Has anyone seen the donor?" Mr Young asked.

"Yes, he's a match with your age, skin tone and blood type," Mark replied.

Mr Young chuckled awkwardly. "What does he look like?"

Mark smiled at him, knowing what his words meant. "I think you'll be satisfied."

"Who am I kidding? It's a face, right? If I end up anything above a point and stare freak, I'm gonna call it a success."

The interns and residents shared a smile before they got dismissed by the attendings. "Lawrence, you're with me and the donor," Owen stated; both siblings turned their heads to him.

"Uh... He-Lawrence," he specified, handing Timothy the chart. "Usually, we take them at the same time, but the donor's life support is fading fast. We got to move."

Timothy thanked the attending and took over the chart, quickly scanning through it while walking away from the crowd. Mark stepped out of Mr Young's room, his eyes darted among the group waiting outside. "Lawrence, Rook," he appointed. The resident gave him a smirk while the intern had a bright smile on.

"Dr Sloan, only one resident?" George asked.

"Wait for Bailey. There's enough of a crowd," Mark stated as he walked over and handed Norah the patient's chart. "Call me after the pre-op labs come in," he stated before lowering his voice, "Or call me anyways."

Norah noticed Kirian snorting at the attending's words while some other interns were sending dirty looks in her direction. They were whispering to each other with unamused and jeering looks on their faces.

"They think you got the surgery because you're sleeping with Sloan," Kirian whispered to her while they went through the charts.

"Correction: I'm dating him," Norah stated before furrowing her brows. "They think he's playing favourites?"

"He could be," he shrugged, and she narrowed her eyes at him. "Alright, if I were to be completely honest, it does look like it. Sometimes... Most of them times-sorry."