79┃what's in your pocket?

S8 EP20

NORAH PULLED HER suitcase behind her with her passport tucked away inside one of Mark's leather jackets. She had her earphones plugged in and a neck pillow around her. Pushing through the evening crowds at the airport, she ducked away from contacting random people.

It bugged her a lot.

Her yawn was replaced with a grin when she saw her brother at the end of the hall, waving at her. Her legs were too tired to run up to him, so he rushed towards her instead.

"Not happy to see your little brother picking you up?" Timothy teased with a cheeky grin, and his arms held wide.

"I'm just too tired to look grateful, baby bro," Norah dove into his chest, returning his hug with her neck pillow hitting him on the face.

"Ugh, fucking pillow-Mark was pulled into surgery, by the way," he passed along, taking her suitcase from her. "A girl who got kidnapped years ago turned up on our fucking rooftop."

"Okay, wow," her eyes widened slightly, "Yeah, that's excusable, and he could make up for that."

"Well, how was Duke?"

"Brilliant, really," she responded with a smile. "Nice program, their offerings are... well, inviting..."

He raised a brow at her change of tone. "But?"

"They asked me whether I'd consider taking up plastics in the future," she sighed, and he cackled loudly. "Turns out, they're friends with Aunt A and Uncle M."

"Nuh-uh, Duke's a no."

"Duke's a big no," she yawned. "I have a video interview with John Hopkins this evening. Wish me luck."

"Pfft, you don't need luck," he chuckled, and she looked at him curiously. "They sent a fucking basket of goodies over this morning," he shrugged, "They want you. You'll do wonderful."

❦ ❦ ❦

1 WEEK LATER

NORAH SIGHED AS SHE sank into the passenger seat; Mark had nearly pressed a kiss on the side of her neck when she halted him and pushed him back to his seat. He studied the fury look on her face briefly, deciding it was best to drive off the pick-up zone.

He cleared his throat, opening his mouth to form words, but he got cut off immediately. "I called you for a getaway, and you showed up late," she scowled at him. "Where the hell did you come from? Canada?!"

"I am truly, truly sorry, Laurie," he chuckled nervously, sending her a sincere smile. "I had uh, something to-never mind... How did it go?"

"Well, for starters, he threw me a good speech about how powerful a female neurosurgeon is, and that how well it would reflect on them. Of course, you can't forget the whole 'trained-under-the-Derek-Shepherd' thing... Oh, plus a reserved position for you in Harvard."

"That's tempting," he voiced out, and she nodded.

"That's not all, love," she stated, and he turned to her attentively. "They also offered a funded research lab. And a spot for me after I finish my fellowship."

His eyes widened in surprise, glancing over at her curiously. "Well, what did you tell him?"

"I told him to pass me the pepper."

There were three long seconds when Mark processed her reply in his head while he stepped on the brake.

"You what-?"