77┃lover and family

Start from the beginning

Timothy narrowed his eyes at the plastic surgeon. "Stop meddling with my pathetic-or-not love life, Sloan."

"I have plans tonight," Lexie spoke up behind them, and three pairs of eyes turned to her while she shifted awkwardly from one leg to another. "I got a hot date. Like a-an actual hot date. With... dinner a-and chocolates and flowers-"

"Lex, you're allergic to flowers," Timothy sighed, and her face went red. "Stop rambling."

❦ ❦ ❦

"WE'RE GONNA GET A zillion Valen-traumas," April chimed with excitement while she waited in the ER's nurses' station, waiting eagerly for a call from dispatch. "I bet a few of them will be good surgeries for our boards."

"Well, it's not St. Patty's day. Those are good traumas," Alex mentioned. "Car crashes, bar brawls..."

"I prefer Christmas season," Norah inputted with a shrug while signing off a chart. "People fall from ladders while hanging lights, people slip on their pavement and fall on their back. Basically, people just being people, and boom-brilliant head and spinal trauma. It's Neuro-heaven."

April stared at Norah, slightly disturbed at the awestricken look on the latter's face.

"Yeah, Valentine's Day is all swallowed engagement rings and guys who threw out their backs getting laid," Alex muttered sourly.

"You're just bitter 'cause you don't have a date," April snorted.

Alex sighed and lifted his head from his chart. "First of all, Valentine's Day isn't for having a date with some chick. No, it's for macking the chicks who don't have dates," he stated, "Besides, I have to study for my boards."

Jackson lifted his head form his chart, noticing the shrugs and 'yeah-that-makes-sense' looks on the other residents' faces. "You studying already?"

"Of course. You're not?" April narrowed her eyes at him while Alex and Norah turned to him curiously.

"No, I am," Jackson cleared his throat with a firm nod, his brows closely together.

Norah snorted at the alarming look behind his eyes. "Nope, he hasn't," she taunted with a smirk, and he shot her a glare.

"You've started?" he queried.

"I've been bugging Shepherd since last year," she shrugged, "I mean, have you seen him giving me a look like I'm annoying the bloody crap out of him? That's because I am."

Jackson was scratching the back of his head stressfully when Owen walked up from behind them, sending the bright and lovey decorations a scowl. "Who put up all this?"

"I did," April replied brightly, but her smile faltered when the attending's glare met her. "Well, research shows that a cheerful environment reduces stress and helps patients to feel more-"

Her eyes widened with dread when Owen picked up a paper teddy bear on the counter and crushed it in his fist before storming off. The resident stammered while blinking at her now-crumpled paper bear.

"Wow."

Before Norah could blurt in something that would make April feel even worse about herself, she was dragged away by her arm. Her chart and pen were left on the countertop while she staggered across the ER and faced the panicky-looking resident.

"I... have a hot date," Lexie stated firmly.

"Um, hooray...?" Norah quirked a brow at her.

"It's Zola."