73┃definitely did the job

Start from the beginning

"No, I can't teach today," Cristina scoffed, "I'm on a mitral valve."

"Okay, well, then just switch with one of these guys," April insisted, but the other residents all had surgeries to get onto; Norah played the pregnant card when the Chief Resident's eyes landed on her. "Guys, come on. I-I divided these up fairly."

"You come on. Every surgery we do this year could end up on the oral boards," Jackson reasoned, and the residents nodded in agreement.

"And they love picking the crappy outcomes," Alex added bitterly.

"This could affect which fellowship I get," Cristina sighed and walked over to the rest sprawled on the couch. "I mean, it's not just life or death, April. Now it's our careers."

"Okay, how's this? Whoever has the worst outcome today teaches all the skills labs for the whole month," Meredith suggested, and everyone voted in favour; April was speechless.

"Jackson's gonna lose," Norah taunted, and the resident quirked a brow at her. "Mark likes precise work. And I remember him complaining about your suture on a bloke's face the other day..."

He shook his head with a sigh and picked out his phone when he heard it beeping. A frown grew on his face when he read the text, the mocking of the brunette were already gone. "You guys get this e-mail?" he asked, but everyone was listening to April shrieking at their tardiness and insane suggestion, then shooing them out of her office.

Jackson's eyes widened. "Whoa. Webber resigned," he shared aloud, "He's no longer Chief of Surgery."

The conversations died off immediately as they snapped their head to the sudden announcement. The group of residents then shifted their gaze to Meredith, who had a guilty look on her face, knowing that Webber had taken the fall for her after the whole issue with the clinical trial.

Norah immediately fished out her phone to check her e-mail; her eyes widened twice their size at the notice. "Bloody hell-Owen Hunt is now Chief of Surgery?"

The brunette caught a glance at Cristina, who looked absolutely clueless. The latter had the same expression as the rest of the residents-shocked and puzzled. "What?!"

❦ ❦ ❦

NORAH STOOD IN FRONT of the sink, scrubbing her hands and arms in the scrub room. Derek stood next to her, also scrubbing in, but only to observe. He had a proud smirk that did not go unnoticed by her. "Nervous?"

"Nope. Because if I get nervous, I might end up with a panic attack since I'm off my antidepressants," she muttered back at him.

When he did not reply, she turned her head to the attending, only to see a concerned frown on his face. "Derek, I'm kidding. Take a joke."

"You're about to operate on someone's brain."

"Yet another reason to make a joke," she shrugged, and he returned her with a nervous laugh while continued scrubbing his hands. "How are things going on with Zola, by the way?"

He sighed heavily, "I'm not sure, honestly. We're dealing with international adoption here."

"She'd be great to have you and Mer as parents, or even having a family at all," she offered, "Trust me, I do know." She cracked her neck side to side before asking again, "Things still rough between you and Mer?"

"Yeah."

"Well, sucks to be you, Shepherd," she stated bluntly, and he rolled his eyes at her. "Oh, come on, don't sulk in my surgery," she snickered, "You'll work things out... because you'll be jealous of Mark and me, and we'll be taunting you for it."