Kirian flickered his eyes to Norah who raised a brow at him before looking back at the attending. "Well, you see... Dr Sloan switched me out and took Lexie in his service after, uh..."

Norah snorted, "After what you pulled that night? Of course he would," she shook her head, "Come with me, Rook."

They squeezed through the many people in the ER; Kirian bumped into a man and quickly muttered a sorry before hurrying off when a trauma patient was wheeled into the ER.

If only he knew that the man had a gun resting inside the inner pocket of his jacket.

❦ ❦ ❦

LEXIE PULLED TIMOTHY away from the vending machine and draped his arm over her shoulder while walking down the hallway with him. The latter beamed when he saw her and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"I'm getting off earlier than you tonight, so I'm cooking dinner, for a change," she stated and he narrowed his eyes at her.

"Don't burn the kitchen down again," he urged and winced when she elbowed him in the ribs. "Ouch-"

"That was just once-and it was just one pan!" she glared at his tight smile before sighing, "What do you wanna eat?"

He shrugged, "Surprise me, and I'll surprise you afterwards." He smirked when her cheeks went pink and rolled her eyes playfully at him. He lifted his arm from her shoulder and turned to her. "I'm actually heading the other way, see you tonight."

"Happy one year," Lexie spoke up and he turned back to her.

Timothy had the cheekiest grin on his face while he scrunched his nose. "Happy one year."

He headed back towards the vending machine and pressed on the button for the chocolate bar that he had previously paid for. The snack fell and he silently thanked the machine for not malfunctioning or scamming his money.

With his phone in one hand and a bar of chocolate in another, he walked into the elevator and pushed on the button down to the ER floor. He chomped down on the bar as he scrolled through on his phone.

The elevator ding-ed and the doors opened.

"Look, you're not even supposed to be back here." The exasperated female voice made Timothy lift his head from his phone curiously. "I'm not a tour guide. I'm a surgeon. Okay?"

Before he could step out of the elevators, he heard a sharp bang-then a thud within a second. His eyes widened at the man in a brown jacket who was slowly turning to him, realising that the elevator was opened.

"S-Sir, I-"

Timothy barely had the time to register the situation, let alone jamming his hand onto the close button of the elevator-another bang made him feel a shock throughout his body as he fell backwards immediately.

He watched the man stepping over the lifeless body of Reed Adamson who was staring right at him.

He could see it; all the blood oozing out from him.

Where he was shot, he did not know.

All he knew was that one minute ago he was thinking about his plans for tonight, and now he was sitting on the cold floors, trembling, while his scrubs and white coat soaked in the pool of red-his pool of red.

He was trapped within the four narrow walls, alone, and he was dying.

❦ ❦ ❦

"HE WAS FURIOUS WHEN he saw me the next day," Kirian chuckled while he opened the door to the stairs after admitting their patient to the psych floor. "I thought I was gonna die, literally."