44┃someone's getting fired

Start from the beginning

Sinking in her seat, she noticed a pair of green eyes gazing in her direction-or more specifically, at them. "The one you shoved? That's Avery," Norah told Mark through a mutter.

He peered over his shoulder, then turned his head back to his girlfriend. "Pretty eyes over there is Avery?" he asked, and she confirmed with a single nod.

The plastic surgeon narrowed his eyes at the green-eyed resident behind him; the latter did not notice the attending's glare.

❦ ❦ ❦

"DR KEPNER HANDED the patient to you?" Webber asked the resident, who shifted in her seat.

"Dr Kepner requested for Dr Sloan, and I was his resident for the night," Norah clarified, her voice steady, and her expression was the calmest one she could put on. "The patient, Cathy Becker, had minor burns on her chest and a deep second-degree burn on her left calf..."

"Dr Sloan!" April's voice caught the plastic surgeon's attention.

Mark narrowed his eyes at the patient across the ER. He nudged Norah next to him, who both hurried over to the burn patient. She furrowed her brows at the condition of the patient's leg.

"Third-degree?" she asked the plastic surgeon, who was examining the burns.

He shook his head. "I'd say this is deep second-degree."

"So, Dr Sloan was treating the patient, and you were just a tag-along?" Jennings cocked a brow at the resident in the room.

Norah abstained from rolling her eyes at the board member. "No, I'm a surgical resident, and I treated her burns," she corrected firmly.

"You did?" Webber questioned, "Where was Sloan?"

Mrs Becker was playing thumb fight with her son, Danny, who stood by her bed. The mother was trying to distract her son from looking at her wound, also distracting herself from feeling squeamish and the pain.

"Why don't you start cleaning while I finish debriding?" Mark instructed.

Mrs Becker gasped sharply as a piece of her burned skin got removed. "Does it hurt?" Danny asked her.

"Yeah, a little bit, sweetie. But it's okay. The doctors are making it all better," she returned her son's worried look with a reassuring smile. "Alright, now you gotta watch out, or I'm gonna get you."

"Dr Sloan, need you," Arizona called out from the nearby trauma room.

"Alright," Mark answered before lifting his head to the resident, "Finish debriding, cover the entire wound with silver sulfadiazine-"

"-then loose gauze, not too tight," Norah finished his instruction, "I've got this."

He nodded before heading into the trauma room, leaving the patient under the resident's care, whom he trusted the most.

"Hey, Lawrence. Come here when you're done there. We need the extra hands," Arizona called out from the trauma room, and Norah nodded back at her.

"I can work with He-Lawrence in the meantime," Mark spoke before raising his voice, "Timothy!"

"You left Mrs Becker to Dr Lawrence to finish debridement?" Webber asked Mark, who looked composed while being questioned.

"Yes, because she's the best plastics resident in this hospital. Quick hands, very precise work," the plastic surgeon spoke coolly, as though he was stating the obvious. "Then, I was called over by Dr Robbins to a boy with second and third-degree burns covering more than sixty percent of his body."