39┃how did you fall for her?

Start from the beginning

"Jesus-you scared me," he exhaled sharply before replying to her question, "I've been here a while."

He lowered his head back to the surgical tools and resumed his mumbling. She watched as he repeated the procedure over and over again-even though he already knew it like the back of his hand.

"Derek, you can do this, you know?"

"You don't know that," he stated, placing the tools back on the tray.

She shrugged. "I don't, definitely not."

He shook his head and rolled his eyes. "You never fail to not make me feel better."

"You're welcome. Besides, I'm changing the mood, taking your mind off the surgery," Norah stated, folding her arms in front of her chest. "Also, you don't deserve to feel better."

Derek's eyes met hers again, and he sighed heavily. "Now you're only making it worse."

"Face it. You've made a mistake, and it cost a patient's life. You know it, I know it. The whole hospital knows it. Big deal. Boo-hoo," she placed out, "Okay, maybe I shouldn't say 'boo-hoo' that simply... Anyways-you shouldn't feel better about a life lost. But you should feel better knowing that you're the person who could-and will-save Izzie Stevens' life today."

He pondered on her words, looking up to the gallery once again. There was a huge weight of pressure on his shoulders, without a doubt, but the resident's words were also true. He could save a life; he will save a life.

"Just focus on today. This case, nothing else. Not even the audience that will be sitting in that gallery," she continued, "So, if you have anything else on your mind at this very moment, now would be a good time to spill it all out."

He turned his head to her, thinking hard. "Actually, there is something I'd like your help with," he voiced out, and she raised a brow at him, waiting for him to continue. "Can you go to where they keep past patients records and pull out the scans of a patient named Katie Bryce?"

"Didn't I just say to focus solely on this case?"

"Yes, that's why I need you to pull out the scans," he stated, "I'm gonna propose to Meredith... again. So, knowing that you're trustworthy enough to get the scans for me, I'll have one less thing to think about-and focus better on Izzie's surgery."

"Alright, fine. I'll look for it now," she sighed as she walked back to the door.

"Thank you."

"Oh, one more thing," Norah spoke before leaving the OR, and Derek turned his head curiously to the resident. "Shave, for the love of god."

❦ ❦ ❦

S5 EP20

"THERE'S NO BLOOD IN THE brain," Derek pointed out as they studied at the patient's scans.

"ZMC fracture of the temporal bone, ruptured eardrum," Mark added before turning to Norah, "Book us an OR."

She nodded and was about to walk off when Derek called her back. "Not so fast, Dr Lawrence," he interjected, "Mr Gates-the patient has a name-also has an injured a facial nerve, which means what?"

"He'll need a nerve repair," she answered, and Mark looked at her with a betrayed look on his face.

"Does that take place before or after Dr Sloan's ossicular reconstruction?" Derek asked. She stood in between the two attendings, raising her brow at the two, who looked like they were in an intense staring contest.