04┃xmas and new year

Comenzar desde el principio

"It's the holidays."

"Definitely the holidays."

The scans were up, and Norah stared at it, shaking her head. "That does not look good at all." She took the films and waved goodbye to George before heading out of the CT room to look for Derek. She asked a few nurses who were clueless, then roamed to a hallway where she found Derek and Addison in some kind of... debate? No, that is definitely not the word.

"I don't know," she heard Derek mumble, "Whatever, you know?"

"I thought you love Christmas shopping," Addison sighed. Norah was debating on whether to interrupt the two, so she just stood and leaned against the wall, silently wishing for one of them to end their conversation as quickly as possible.

"I'm just really not in the mood for it right now, okay?" Derek saw Norah standing there in the corner of his eyes with the CT scans in her hands.

"Okay, well, how about French food and Scottish catalogues tonight, around 9?"

"Um, well, I guess that depends. What time I get out of here..."

"Dr Shepherd," Norah called, not being able to witness their conversation anymore. "Neuro-Shepherd," she added when both attendings turned to her. "Mr Epstein's CT scans," she gestured to the films in her hands; Derek quickly walked towards her, eager to get away from his situation. "Subdural hematoma?"

"Yes, and that is... not great at all," Derek sighed, lifting the films by the light.

"Continue walking. I'm saving your arse," Norah whispered. "Even I couldn't keep watching you there."

Derek quickened his pace with the intern following next to him. "Mm-hmm, yup. Thank you. I owe you one."

❦ ❦ ❦

"MR EPSTEIN, SORRY TO uh... interrupt-" Norah dodged a ball that had just gotten thrown in her direction.

"Um, should we talk more privately?" Derek suggested.

Mrs Epstein shook her head and sat up from the bed. "No, just tell us," she insisted. "Is it bad?"

"The fall has caused a subdural hematoma," Derek informed.

"I don't even know what that means," one of the daughters spoke.

"It means your dad is um... bleeding, in his brain," Norah replied.

The attending nodded. "Look, there are some risks to the surgery. It has to happen before the bleeding gets worse."

"What kind of risks?" Mrs Epstein asked worriedly.

"See, the bleed is, uh, in an area of the brain that controls the speech and the motor control."

"We don't need operation, okay?"

"You know, Jake, I think we do," Mr Epstein comforted his son.

"Hey, honey, you know something else?" Mrs Epstein, crouching beside Jake, who was on the bed. "We have a doctor named Shepherd."

"Shepherd," Mr Epstein repeated. "Is that a sign from God or what?"

Norah snorted and immediately faked a cough, turning around to face away from the family. She covered her mouth with her hand to prevent herself from laughing out while Derek glared at her, obviously weirded out by that comment. "Stop laughing," he whisper-yelled.

"Sorry, I'll head out," her voice cracking from chuckling out. "Shepherd."

❦ ❦ ❦