Chapter One: Love Hurts

Start from the beginning

When her sister Rachel had been married a few months back and returned from her honeymoon abroad, she was very excited to share with Sophia what her wedding night had been like-sparing very few details. It was one thing to talk about such sordid topics, but quite another entirely to have them happen between herself and Jeremy. She felt giddy just picturing what Jeremy would do to her body.

A swift knock at the door startled her out of her reverie. Sophia heard her mother's voice from the other side of it saying, "You cannot go in there! It's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding!"

The door opened. It was Jeremy!

     What is he doing in here? Shouldn't he be waiting for me at the front of the church?

He quickly closed and locked the door. Sophia's knees weakened at the sight of him and she nearly swooned on the spot. He looked so devilishly handsome in the bright white tuxedo he wore. His dark brown hair was a bit disheveled, but it only made him look even more appealing to her. Unaware of the gloomy look on his face, Sophia crossed the room and wrapped her arms around his firm waist, placing her head on his shoulder as so she often did.

     "You shouldn't see me just yet! You heard my mother, it's bad luck!" She playfully admonished.

Jeremy took a few hesitant steps backwards, as if distancing himself from her. Only then did she take notice of his somber demeanor and she immediately sensed that something was wrong.

     That is not the look of a happy man about to be wed. He looks just the opposite!

     "Jeremy my love, what is the matter? Why don't you look happy to see me? Why aren't you at the front of the church?"

Sophia had never seen that particular look on his face before and it alarmed her. She noticed his dark brown eyes were red and swollen as if he had been crying.

He sucked in a deep breath as if willing himself to speak. Sophia knew that whatever he was about to say would be bad.

     "There is something that I must tell you."

His voice betrayed the hint of a tremor in it. She pulled her veil up and over her head in order to see him more clearly. He looked downright miserable.

With a tentative smile he gushed out, "Oh my Lord Soph, you look so incredibly beautiful. Words cannot describe it. You are downright enchanting."

Sophia beamed at his compliment, but words failed her.

He took her hand, led her over to the red velveteen settee, sitting them both down upon it. A lump formed in the back of her throat as he tilted her chin to make her look into his eyes.

     "Something has happened Sophia and I need to be honest about it."

His eyes, now filling with tears, looked so sorrowful. She stared at him intently and gave him her full and undivided attention. Tears formed in her own eyes.

     "Go on."

Those tears in his eyes now spilled over and she knew in that moment that their wedding would not be taking place this day. Her abdomen, still clenched tightly, began to hurt even worse. She ignored the pain and continued to stare deeply into his eyes. Even though the one window in the room was open wide to let in the fresh air of the late Spring morning, she began to feel slightly suffocated.

     "Angelique Milton claims she is having my child."

She looked at Jeremy feeling as if someone had just kicked her in the gut as his declaration seeped its way into the inner recesses of her brain. She tried to speak but the words just would not come out. Jeremy grabbed her hand which caused her to jerk it away as she became overwhelmed with a myriad of emotions; anger, sadness, confusion... then right back to anger once more.