Chapter 42

With one beat of the drum, my heart's going wild again:

Jennie's hands are shaking.

She barely manages to prevent the boiling water from spilling all over the counter as she fills it into the mismatched mugs. The scent of orange blossoms fills the kitchen as the water comes into contact with the tea bags.

She places the kettle back down and braces herself on the counter, her head dropping between her shoulders.

"Shit," She whispers shakily.

It must've been louder than she intended it to be, because she hears some shuffling from the living room, a cough, and Jennie flinches, something like a whimper catching in her throat.

Y/n is sitting in her living room, with puffy eyes from crying, and Jennie's lips are tingling because Y/n kissed her.

She doesn't know how any of this happened. How Y/n suddenly appeared in front of her apartment, looking so effortlessly beautiful, with those expressive eyes of her that honestly seemed to see nothing except for Jennie. It's the same eyes that looked at her with so much adoration all those months ago, in the village, what seems like a whole other world compared to the dark, gloomy city they met each other again in.

Jennie had been so ready to close that chapter. Shut the drawer, store the contents away in the back of her mind, in that small space in her heart that just refused to let go of what Y/n and her had, no matter how insignificant others might find their memories together to be.

What if-

What if this isn't going to work out? What if this thing they had, was nothing but a summer romance after all? Something that would only work out in that small time frame they had, and wasn't supposed to last beyond that.

It's been heard of, hasn't it?

People falling madly in love with each other during a trip abroad over the summer, having a heartbreaking departure, only to find that the spark they had felt between them over the summer wasn't there anymore when they end up meeting each other again.

Jennie is panicking.

She has to breathe. Air is good. She needs to put some in her lungs right now, just needs to-

"Jennie?" A tentative voice calls her name from behind her. Jennie whirls around shakily, sees Y/n standing at the entrance, looking small in her soft hoodie, her hair a little messy.

Jennie completely melts at the sight.

Can't think straight. Not one single coherent thought left in her head.

She swallows heavily, their eyes locked together, the tension so thick in the air it's hard to breathe.

"You okay?" Y/n asks after a moment, her soft brown eyes filled with concern.

Jennie whimpers for real this time.

Y/n's lips part, eyebrows furrowing. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Y/n/n." Jennie knows she's being pathetic. But she has no idea what's happening. She's delirious from being so sleep deprived, from having Y/n here, within reach, her Y/n, who's behaving so differently but so familiar all the same. It's all too much, too fast, and Jennie has a hard time catching up.

Y/n comes closer, pink tongue darting out to wet her lips nervously. "Can I-"

Jennie wraps her arms around Y/n's neck, pulls her in because she's too far away. She hugs her tightly, shuddering at the sudden warmth, the familiar scent lingering around Y/n's neck when she presses her face there.