Chapter 6

This is just a phase you're gonna outgrow:

There are certain times during the day where Jennie feels like her insomnia is going to end up crushing her. She usually felt that way during classes back when She was actually still attending them and used to fall asleep halfway through until one of the teaching assistants called her out and the professor threatened to give her spot to someone else.

When She got an E-mail from her school telling her that She wouldn’t be able to start the next semester if She didn’t get her grades up in three of her classes, Jennie remembers thinking I can’t do it. I don’t even remember my fucking name-

At that point, She’d went through a whole week running on nothing but roughly eight hours of proper sleep, and her brain just started to switch to slumber-mode whenever it wanted to. It didn’t matter if this was in the middle of an exam or while She was driving.

That’s also when her doctor told her to take a break and not sign up for any classes for the next semester, and Jennie felt like her whole life was ruined after that.

She’s just come out to her parents and now She had to tell them that She was taking a break from school just because of “simple sleeping problems”, as her dad likes to call it.

But then again, her dad doesn’t know what kind of messed up thoughts the brain starts to come up with when you don’t do anything but think the entire night, when the lack of sleep already is messing with you.

It gets fucking scary.

Her insomnia got a bit better once She didn’t have to deal with the pressure of attending classes and upcoming exams, but now She was haunted by thoughts about her being a failure, her not amounting to anything when She couldn’t even bring herself to sleep like a normal person.

Her doctor did recommend her to consider going to therapy but a part of Jennie feels like She needs to solve this problem on her own. Just to prove herself something.

Or maybe just to prove her dad wrong.

She’s scrolling through her Instagram feed while She’s waiting for Y/n, and her eyes are tired because they always are but her brain feels like She just took four shots of Espresso and She just knows She won’t be sleeping tonight.

“Jennie!” Her grandmother calls from the living room. “Y/n is here.”

Jennie takes the hoodie her grandmother gave her as a present and pulls it over her head, grabbing some disposable eye drops before She leaves.

Y/n is leaning against the wall next to their door when She steps outside, the screen of her phone illuminating her face. She’s wearing a soft looking sweater and looks like She just took a shower, the tips of her messy hair still a bit wet.

“Hey,” Jennie mumbles, slipping into her sneakers.

Y/n regards her with a long look. “Did you take a nap?”

“No.”

“You look really tired.”

Jennie gives her a weak smile. “I am.”

Y/n sighs and pushes herself off the wall. “Come on. Maybe a few beers will do the job.”

So they walk to the school, and the village feels kind of eerie at night and Jennie walks a little closer against Y/n’s side they both don’t mention it.

It’s a class room where everyone’s gathered, a few tables shoved together in the middle with cans of beer and snacks scattered on top of it.

The smell of smoke cuts through the air inside and Jennie feels her eyes burn.