Chapter Eight - Complications

For the past week, the subject of Liam dominated their discussion. Talking about him wasn't supposed to be a surprise anymore. In fact, she'd anticipated to hear his name as she watched Penelope's lips move through the screen. Yet, the moment she said it, her heart banged at her chest. Her mouth went dry. Her palm felt clammy. Maybe she was actually sick, and she was exhibiting symptoms of 'Liamphobia'.

"So..." She began once she found her voice. "What about Liam?"

Penelope took a breath. "Audrey."

"What?" She pinched her eyebrows in confusion.

Penelope bit her lower lip then said, "Promise me you won't get mad, and you'll just hear me out to the end, okay?"

"I promise. Just tell me," Audrey said automatically.

Penelope breathed again. "Okay, so Liam joined the committee today."

She stopped and waited for a reaction from Audrey. Audrey, noticing the pause, blinked and said, "Oh, he did?"

"Yeah. And we kinda talked. Well, he talked to me. I tried to ignore him but...but he just kept talking and he's really nice and funny, and..." she babbled with a dreamy look in her eyes, but stopped again. This time, Audrey didn't have a reaction for her. The dreamy look disappeared. She cleared her throat and continued, "He asked about you."

Audrey felt her eyes widen. "Oh, he did?"

"Yes and...and he wanted to know why you were ignoring him. Of course, I couldn't tell him anything, but I...Audrey I..."

"You what Penelope?" Audrey couldn't help her impatience.

"I like Liam, Audrey. In the friend way. I don't think he's anything like Malcolm. I don't think he's anything like the rest of the boys in our class. You'll get this too if you just put aside your grudge and talk to him! This ignoring thing is just so baseless and pointless! You two have a lot in common. He's smart, You're smart. I like him, I like you! who knows? He could even ask you out for the school dance and not that snotty Bella!"

Audrey was dazed. Mixed feelings surged through her. "Did he bribe you with free stuff or something, Pen?"

Penelope looked offended. "What?"

"Because I can't believe this. Here's a guy who's tormented your best friend for a long while, and you're saying you like him? Sheesh Pen! A best friend is supposed to be supportive. I know you get along with everyone else better than me, but you're the only one I have, and you know that. The best you could do is support me."

Penelope broke. "So you're saying I'm not supportive? Ha!" She covered her mouth with her palm and muttered something incoherent. Audrey knew that Pen never sweared, but whatever she'd said must be something close to it. "All I ever do is support you, Audrey Baker!" She exploded. "Even when people call you antisocial and harass me about being friends with you, I support you! Even when they whisper "that's the girl who's best friends with the glasses-wearing nerd who thinks she's better than the rest of us', I support you! Heck, even when they accuse me of supporting you all the time, I tell them to shut the he...hermit crab up because I love you! If I ever don't support you, it's because I love you and I want you to do the right thing! Do you prefer being supported, or being corrected? Being backed-up, or being helped?"