•ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝕆ℕ𝔼•

[A/N]: okay this is kinda random-ish so feel free to skip the ice cream part.

Me and Coiny walk around the campus together every day during my time here. It was quite interesting how different Coiny seemed to be from other people who knew about my ability. They're all very polite and happy, while this boy was always very curious. His eyes always lit up when we spoke, and he kept asking all kinds of questions. He didn't even seem to get discouraged whenever I wouldn't answer anything.

We talked about everything under the sun. We were basically best friends now, which I thought was strange considering he had only known me a few days. But it felt nice. And it wasn't bad knowing that someone understood me, unlike with most others.

"Leafy?" He started, "What are your abilities anyway? And how do they work?"

Before I could even answer, he continued, "I mean -not to be rude but- you've always been telling me about them and how they're so dangerous. But you've never actually told me what they do- better yet, what they are."

I stared at him blankly.  The last thing I wanted to do was tell him how I had gotten these powers. That would bring up the whole "sad" part again, and he doesn't need to know about my past like that. So, instead, I simply shrugged and said, "It isn't really important."

His face scrunched up and said, "But it is! It's totally important! Like, if you can control plants or something, then you might be able to control people too!"

"Maybe...but no..." I trailed off. Why did I feel like talking about it? Why does everyone care so much about these things when they don't have even deal with it? I sighed heavily. "Well...there's nothing I can say about it."

A look of disappointment crossed his face before he smiled and shook his head. "Okay. If that's the case, then I guess I'll just have to learn about it myself..."

"Please don't,"  I begged softly, "It's not worth it."

There's a brief silence before he spoke again. "Why?"

Why? Because it doesn't matter. Because I don't need anyone's pity. Because I don't deserve it. Because I'm going to die sooner or later. All of those reasons. Instead of saying any of those, I just shrug again.

Coiny sighs and shakes his head. "Okay. If that's how you want it. Just know that I'm here to listen whenever you wanna talk though. Okay? Even if it's something trivial."

I smile a bit at his kindness. "Do you want to go get ice cream at the new ice cream place that's opening up?" I ask, a moment later.

He sighed wistfully, "Why not? After all, I've got nothing better to do."

My smile expanded as I picked myself up off the grass. He remained, still as a tree. "Come on, Coiny!" I chuckle and try to tickle his back.

He noticed at the last second and swiftly stood up and sprinted from his post. I laughed breathlessly as he stared at me with light disdain - until he, himself, started laughing.

We continued for a moment, then he gasped for air and started back over to me. "Let's go get that ice cream before its too late."

I nodded, still clutching my stomach from the laughing. He noticed and smiled.

[Time Skip]

We arrived at the ice cream shop in less than 30 minutes - could've been faster, no thanks to our shenanigans on the way.

"Look!" Coiny whispered and pointed out at the horizon. The sun was slowly, but graciously, setting before them. "I've heard sunsets give you good luck! Or was that bad luck...?"

I giggled as I grabbed him and stepped inside.

The shop was very brightly lit by lights hung upon the ceiling,  almost blinding in fact. There was a delight and welcoming atmosphere, and there was so many smells: lavender, mint, lemon, pineapple, watermelon, etc. The wallpaper was covered with horizontal rainbows and with white lines interscting. It was like my eyes AND my nose were playing tricks on me!

"Whoa!" Me and Coiny gasped in unison.

I immediately ran over to the bar and admired all the flavours. Not long after, I stumbled upon a label plastered to the glass pane: "One free scoop for every flavor! After that, its cash."

My smile spread from ear to ear as Coiny came over to check if I was OK or not. He looked over my shoulder, reading the paper, and shrugged.

I squinted my eyes at him for a split second then began to shovel at the ice cream with the shop provided scooper.

Coiny tilted his head as he watched me work.

"Don't just stand there!" I said, getting up and slightly nudging him on the shoulder. "Grab a spoon!"

He nodded and grabbed a scooper and joined me on the other side.

I scooped up three scoops of strawberry, chocolate, and blueberry. I gave the scooper to Coiny once I was finished. "Here you go!" I exclaimed happily.

Coiny took the scooper and stared at the ice cream, looking thoughtful. "Blueberry?"

"Of course!" I beamed, a little too loudly. Luckily there weren't many people in the shop so I didn't gain too much attention.

Coiny took a small bite and his face instantly lightened up. "This is incredible! Can I have more?!"

I laughed. "Sure, go ahead!" I replied as he ran over to another section for a bowl of vanilla ice cream with caramel drizzles and a cherry on top.

"Want to eat outside?" He asked when he was done picking. "It's not too cold out."

I shrugged. "You can if you want to," I said as I walked of to an vacant table. "I'm just going to sit here." I pat the table and sat down with my ice cream.

He nodded and went outside, only to come back in moments later. "Nevermind It's too cold," Coiny said, and went back over to the table I was sitting at and sat down in the chair across from me. "Besides, I didn't bring a jacket."

I started munching my ice cream a bit (I know I'm weird). "I think I'd prefer this melted," I said unconsciously.

"That would make it worse, Leafy," He replied smiling.

"Yeah," I mumbled, and took a few bigger bites. Then I noticed he had finished eating. I couldn't help but frown as I realised how much he enjoyed his ice cream more. "How did you finish already?"I asked, confused.

"Oh." He shrugged. "It's not that big of a deal," He admitted. "I just really liked ice cream and I didn't want to waste it."

I laughed quietly. "That's pretty awesome, actually. Maybe you should buy some ice cream more often since it tastes so good," I added.

[Time Skip]

Me and Coiny laughed as we walked towards his house. It was mostly dark out by now, and the moon was now sky high.

"I wish we could have ice cream every day!" Coiny said, then frowned. "But my parents wouldn't allow it."

I nodded. "I know right! Like who needs them anyway!"

"Not us!" We both said in unison.

I smiled. "Jinx!" I said, laughing maniacally. "Haha, now you can't talk."

Coiny frowned playfully and started running away from me as if I were a cat and he was a mouse.

"Come back here!" I said, as I followed him down the street. "IM GOING TO EAT YOU RAWR!!"

That just made him run faster as I chased after him. Eventually he stopped for air so I caught up, although he started to run again.

"COINY!!" I yell, exasperated. "Can we stop?"

Coiny turned and started laughing. "You said my name!!" He shouted. And he was right.

"Dang it!"