4 - The truth

I turn around slowly to find him leaning against the doorpost. I wonder how long he's been here.

'Hello', I say, trying not to let my voice tremble. 'Do you need anything else from me?'

'Yes, doc, actually I do.' He takes his hand out of his pocket and stands a little straighter. Then motions with his finger for me to come over.

'Can I have a word with you?'

Before I answer, he's already walking out of the room, back into the adjacent kitchen. I look over at Ron with wide eyes for a second before I follow him.

'I can come with you', he mumbles weakly.

'Don't be ridiculous', I tell him. 'Don't worry about it, I'll be fine. Try to get some sleep.'

'Get back here when you're done with him', he says worriedly. 'I need to know that you're still...'

Alive? I swallow and walk over to the door behind which Negan is waiting for me.

'I'll be right back', I tell Ron. Then I wall into the kitchen and close the door behind me.

Negan is leaning against the kitchen counter now. I stay by the door to keep some distance between us, but he motions me to come to him again.

'Closer', he commands.

Reluctantly, I walk over to the kitchen counter as well until he seems satisfied. I cross my arms to stop my heart from jumping out of its chest, because it sure feels like that's what it's about to do. This man terrifies me.

'What can I do for you?' I ask in a small voice.

'I'd like you to answer a question for me, Christina', he says vaguely. Whatever he wants from me, he's taking his time with it. I suppose he likes scaring the shit out of people.

'Of course.'

He pushes himself off the counter and makes his way over to me. I walk back from him instinctively, but he soon walks around me and traps me against the counter. He grins when his face is close to mine.

'My question is... if beating the brains out of two of you assholes doesn't say I'm serious, then what the fuck does?'

Does he know? How can he know? Oh my God, if he knows then I'm dead.

'What do you mean?' I ask as panic surges through my veins. 'We know you're serious, of course we know.'

'Doctor', he says condescendingly. 'Don't take me for a fool. I asked you if you gave me all the medicine. You said it's all you've got in this house, didn't you? Was that the truth?'

Is he bluffing, hoping to find more? Did Ella slip up? Do I lie? Do I tell him the truth?

'Yes', I mumble, the word almost catching in my throat. 'You took everything.'

His eyes bore into mine, but they betray nothing. I don't know if he believes me or if he sees right through me. But then, without any warning, his hand shoots up and he firmly grabs my jaw. It's so unexpected that I let out a short yelp as he presses his body against mine and turns my head to the side so he can speak straight into my ear.

'Doctor, I will give you one more chance to tell me the truth. Did you hand over all the medicine?'

'No', I gasp. The word is out before I know it. My entire body is trembling with fear. He's going to kill me, I know it.

'Where's the rest?' he demands, still holding me tightly.

'Here', I say breathlessly. 'Beneath the sink.'